Russia to work with Egypt to boost airline safety
cairo — Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said on Saturday that his country was eager to work with Egypt to boost airline security, three years after a bomb attack downed a Russian plane, killing more than 200 holidaymakers.
In a column published in the Egyptian state newspaper Al Ahram ahead of a visit by President Abdel Fattah El Sisi to Moscow next week, Lavrov praised what he described as a “multifaceted partnership” with Egypt.
“It is important today to continue joint efforts that target supporting the safety of both countries’ citizens, including aboard airplanes,” Lavrov said in a commentary.
Russia halted civilian air traffic to Egypt in October 2015 after militants detonated a bomb on a Russian Metrojet flight departing from the tourist resort of Sharm El Sheikh, killing all 224 people on board.
Since then Egypt has allowed Russian experts to inspect its airport security arrangements several times and the two countries have signed an agreement covering civil aviation security.
Flights between Moscow and Cairo resumed in April, but Egypt hopes to secure the return of Russian flights to its Red Sea resorts.
The bombing and the Russian suspension were blows to Egypt’s tourism industry. —