TOMATO BASIL SOUP
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 large carrots, peeled and diced 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped 2 teaspoons dried basil leaves 1 (28-ounce) can no-salt-added crushed tomatoes
1 (14.5-ounce) can no-salt-added diced tomatoes, with liquid 1 (14.5-ounce) reduced sodium chicken broth
2 cups 2 percent low-fat evaporated milk
Salt and pepper to taste
12 to 18 garlic cheese croutons (the larger size croutons)
1. In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add carrots and onion and cook, stirring frequently, until tender, about 8 to 10 minutes. Add basil and blend well.
2. Stir in tomatoes and broth. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to a simmer and simmer, uncovered, 30 to 40 minutes. Allow mixture to cool slightly.
3. Use an immersion blender and puree soup until smooth (or alternately, in batches, place soup into the work bowl of a food processor or blender and blend until smooth. Return soup to saucepan.)
4. Add evaporated milk and stir gently to blend. Heat until heated through over medium heat but do not allow to boil. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
5. Ladle soup into serving bowls and garnish each serving with 3 garlic cheese croutons.