WEATCH BRANCDSAREIAS TIESD TO THIEIRON HOMELAND AS GLASHÜTTE ORIGINAL THE HISTORY
MANY HISTORICAL WATCH brands are well-known for having galvanised the watchmaking industry in their home towns. Entire watchmaking cities have sprung up around single brands, with experts from across the continent flocking to them in order to satisfy the growing demand for horological craftsmen. There is one brand, however, that appears to share its destiny with the town from whence it came, a brand that seems inexorably tied to the fate of its home, and a brand that gives back enormously to the community that helped to create it.
Glashütte Original was founded in 1994 with the privatisation of VEB Glashütter Uhrenbetriebe (GUB), an East German conglomerate formed in 1951 from the watch companies based in the small town of Glashütte, near Dresden. The company remained lagely the same, but it was restructured to make way for a more modern business model, and its name was changed to Glashütte Original. As a result of this, the company likes to refer to its founding date as 1951. And because it was founded by merging every watchmaking firm in the area into VEB, the town and the brand have become linked Glashütte Original’s history goes back till 1845, when the four pioneers Ferdinand Adolph Lange, Moritz Großmann, Julius Assmann and Adolf Schneider, founded the basis for the soon flourishing watch industry in Glashütte. Their plan was to turn Glashütte, for centuries known as a hub for silver mining, into the epicentre of German quality watchmaking. local suppliers. This led to a standardised, ‘Glashütte’ way in which components were supplied and assembled.
By 1878 Großmann had noticed the ballooning state of the industry in Glashütte, and recognised that, for the growth to continue, the town would require growing numbers of qualified craftsmen. Therefore, he set up the German School of Watchmaking Glashütte. One of the school’s notable graduates, Alfred Helwig, would go on to invent the flying tourbillon, as well as become one of the school’s most notable teachers.
By 1916, watchmakers began marking their clocks with the phrase ‘Original Glashütte’ to denote the quality of the timepieces that they were producing. Before long, the Glashütte Precision Watch Factory had been created, and it helped numerous brands to manufacture their increasingly complex and high-quality creations.
Today, Glashütte Original is a part of the