John’s am­pu­ta­tion or­deal

Airdrie & Coatbridge Advertiser - - Front Page - An­drew Bargh

An Air­drie man has blamed Mon­k­lands Hos­pi­tal for the dev­as­tat­ing loss of his leg.

Dis­traught John Traynor had three toes re­moved be­fore his right leg was am­pu­tated be­low the knee af­ter he in­jured his foot do­ing some DIY.

Alarm­ingly, the for­mer army med­i­cal tech­ni­cian was sent home from Mon­k­lands on TWO separate oc­ca­sions, then once by his GP – and the se­ri­ous­ness of his in­jury was only ac­knowl­edged by hos­pi­tal staff when he was ad­mit­ted af­ter suf­fer­ing a mini-stroke.

The grand­fa­ther, who is re­cov­er­ing at home, in­sists his leg could have been saved if he had re­ceived the cor­rect care and at­ten­tion dur­ing his ini­tial visit to A&E.

Now dad-of-three John says his dreams of proudly walk­ing daugh­ter Lorna down the aisle when she mar­ries next year lie in tat­ters.

Devastated John Traynor feels he lost “not only my leg, but my life”, as he strug­gles to come to terms with his am­pu­ta­tion.

The Air­drie man claims it took a min­istroke be­fore medics ac­knowl­edged the se­ri­ous­ness of a foot in­jury which ul­ti­mately re­sulted in him los­ing a leg.

He has ac­cused Mon­k­lands Hos­pi­tal of treat­ing him like a “sec­ond-class cit­i­zen”, and in­sists if staff hadn’t “fobbed him off” on two separate oc­ca­sions, he wouldn’t have had to en­dure the en­su­ing trauma.

The pen­sioner’s life-al­ter­ing or­deal be­gan last month, when a ra­di­a­tor fell on his foot while he was do­ing some DIY.

Sus­pect­ing he may have bro­ken his toes, the for­mer med­i­cal tech­ni­cian vis­ited the hos­pi­tal ex­pect­ing to re­ceive an X-ray. How­ever, fol­low­ing an ex­am­i­na­tion the dad-of-three was in­stead sent home and in­structed to rest.

Af­ter three days and with the pain in­ten­si­fy­ing, the 66-year-old re­turned to A&E only to be given painkillers.

A visit two days later to his GP re­sulted in John be­ing given a tubi­grip sup­port.

The full ex­tent of his foot in­jury was only dis­cov­ered al­most a fort­night af­ter his ini­tial ac­ci­dent – when he suf­fered a mi­nor stroke.

Af­ter re­ceiv­ing an­tibi­otics to fight the poi­son­ing, he was trans­ferred to Hairmyres Hos­pi­tal.

De­spite claim­ing Mon­k­lands med­i­cal staff told his fam­ily there was “noth­ing to worry about”, John’s toes were am­pu­tated due to sep­ti­caemia the day af­ter ar­rival and his leg re­moved three days later.

Now re­cov­er­ing at home, John re­called the two weeks that changed his life.

He said: “I knew some­thing was wrong at the start and feel Mon­k­lands should have treated me then.

“It would have been a sim­ple pro­ce­dure to lance the bad blood out and pre­vent the in­fec­tion spread­ing.

“In­stead, they failed me and treated me like a sec­ond-class cit­i­zen.

“I’ve com­pletely lost faith in Mon­k­lands Hos­pi­tal.”

Af­ter the removal of his toes John was warned that there was the pos­si­bil­ity of the in­fec­tion spread­ing fur­ther. But he was shocked to be given just 90 min­utes to agree to his leg be­ing am­pu­tated.

He con­tin­ued: “I just kept think­ing, ‘what do I do?’

“I didn’t want to lose my leg, but didn’t feel there was any al­ter­na­tive.

“It was a hor­ri­ble de­ci­sion to have to make but los­ing it be­low the knee means I’ve prob­a­bly saved my full leg.”

Speak­ing of his loss, John con­tin­ued: “I’m hav­ing dreams where I still have two legs but then I wake up.

“It’s re­ally hard to come to terms with and I don’t know when, or if, I ever will.

“I was an ac­tive per­son be­fore – I’d take my dogs for a walk, go out with my wife and spend time at our car­a­van. “Now I’m caged up like a mon­key.” John is try­ing to fo­cus on re­gain­ing some mobility for a spe­cial day next year.

He ex­plained: “My daugh­ter Lorna is get­ting mar­ried and I’m de­ter­mined to walk her down the aisle.

“The thought of not be­ing able to give her away sad­dens me greatly.”

John’s fam­ily have been hugely sup­port­ive through­out, with wife Mar­garet ad­mit­ting: “It’s very upsetting and still hard for all of us to take in.

“It’s been a ter­ri­ble shock, es­pe­cially when we were told there was noth­ing to worry about.”

The fam­ily have sub­mit­ted an of­fi­cial com­plaint to NHS La­nark­shire but de­spite the need for ex­pen­sive home al­ter­ations, such as a chair­lift and wet room, John main­tains he’s not seek­ing fi­nan­cial com­pen­sa­tion. He said: “All I want is an apol­ogy. “I knew I had an in­jury that was se­ri­ous but was told it would ‘go away’. Well, it didn’t half go away, didn’t it!

“I’ve no idea how long it’ll take to ac­cept this, but an apol­ogy would help.”

Ni­chola Sum­mers, in­terim direc­tor of hos­pi­tal ser­vices at Mon­k­lands Hos­pi­tal, said: “We re­gret any in­stance where a pa­tient feels that we have failed to pro­vide the high­est stan­dards of care.

“Al­though we can­not com­ment on in­di­vid­ual cases due to pa­tient con­fi­den­tial­ity, I can con­firm that we are in con­tact with the fam­ily and an in­ves­ti­ga­tion is un­der­way.

“As such, it would be in­ap­pro­pri­ate to com­ment fur­ther at this stage.”

I dream I’ve still two legs John Traynor

Miss­ing limb John shows the dam­age to his leg and (be­low) the grue­some im­age of his feet in hos­pi­tal

Blun­der Mr Traynor blames Mon­k­lands Hos­pi­tal for hav­ing to en­dure loss of his leg

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.