Fletch: ‘We just seemed to think it was job done’

Bangor Mail - - SPORT -

BAN­GOR City as­sis­tant Gary Tay- lor-Fletcher slammed his play­ers for a ‘sloppy’ per­for­mance as the Cit­i­zens re­lin­quished top spot in the Welsh Premier League.

City slipped to fourth place after start­ing the day in pole po­si­tion as they let a 2-0 lead slip in a 3-2 loss at home against Cardiff Met.

An Eliot Evans brace and a late 85th minute ef­fort from sub­sti­tute Harry Owen sealed a stun­ning come­back as the stu­dents ran out 3-2 win­ners at Nant­porth.

“In the first half we were very pro­fes­sional, but after go­ing 2-0 up in the sec­ond half, we seemed to think it was job done, and stopped play­ing,” said Tay­lor-Fletcher.

“We be­came sloppy, stopped do­ing the ba­sics and started tak­ing un­nec­es­sary risks. It was very dis­ap­point­ing, and hard to take.

“We only played for 60 min­utes, while the Met are fit young lads who keep go­ing for the whole 90 min­utes. Once they got the first goal, they grew in con­fi­dence.”

New City sign­ing James Demetriou was handed a full start fol­low­ing his goalscor­ing de­but at Bala Town last Satur­day, with Dean Rit­ten­berg start­ing out wide in place of Bray­den Shaw in City’s only change to the start­ing line-up from last time out.

The home side started brightly and fol­low­ing a cou­ple of early corner kicks nearly took the lead, Demetriou’s cross met by Rit­ten­berg who could only flick his ef­fort the wrong side of the post.

Tay­lor-Fletcher forced Met keeper Will Fuller to save with his legs, and Lau­rence Wil­son hit a free kick into the side net­ting after Steven He­witt was tripped, City dom­i­nat­ing the early ex­changes.

But Met were still a threat on the counter, Con­nor Roberts forced into a smart save 10 min­utes be­fore the break, while Demetriou and Luke Wall both tested Fuller shortly after.

And City were soon to reap the re­wards of their dom­i­nance, Tay­lor-Fletcher drop­ping deep to col­lect a ball, his re­verse pass send­ing Danny Holmes free to cut the ball back for Damien Allen to tuck away.

Chris Baker struck the foot of the post from close range as a Met free kick was sent in the City area.

Fuller smartly saved from Shaw, the record sign­ing sent on at the in­ter­val in place of Rit­ten­berg, who was suf­fer­ing a ham­string strain, be­fore the striker made it 2-0 to the home side on 68 min­utes, pok­ing home from six yard after the Met stop­per had de­nied Young’s ini­tial shot.

Met gave them­selves a life­line two min­utes later, Evans fir­ing home with a pow­er­ful drive, be­fore the stu­dents got back on level terms on 77 min­utes.

A quick counter at­tack was started by Ro­scrow’s run down the right and his cross was met by the head of Evans, the equaliser be­ing his sev­enth goal against the Cit­i­zens since Met’s ar­rival in the WPL.

And with five min­utes left on the clock the vis­i­tors clinched all three points when sub­sti­tute Owen pounced onto a ball at the near post.

City threw one last roll of the dice as An­der­son Cay­ola re­placed Tay­lor-Fletcher on 86 min­utes, and with the fourth of­fi­cial an­nounc­ing a min­i­mum of three min­utes of added time, Shaw was once again frus­trated by Fuller as the Cardiff keeper saved at full-stretch low to his left.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.