Town’s Tro­phy dreams bro­ken

Bangor Mail - - SPORT -

LLANGEFNI TOWN’S dreams of lift­ing the FAW Tro­phy for a se­cond time in their his­tory were dashed when they lost 2-0 to gi­ant-killers Peny­dar­ren BGC in last Satur­day’s quar­ter-fi­nal in South Wales.

The dis­ap­point­ment came three days af­ter the Anglesey team boosted their chances of win­ning the Welsh Al­liance Di­vi­sion One ti­tle with a 2-1 vic­tory at lead­ers Conwy Bor­ough.

Town failed to pro­duce the same level of per­for­mance in a last-eight Tro­phy bat­tle switched to Merthyr Town’s Peny­dar­ren Park.

Cefni adapted bet­ter to the 4G sur­face early on, knock­ing the ball around quite well and look­ing dan­ger­ous on the break.

Peny­dar­ren’s Ben Jones was car­ried off af­ter twist­ing his an­kle fol­low­ing an ac­ci­den­tal chal­lenge and it was the in­tro­duc­tion of sub­sti­tute Joshua Brog­den that kicked-off the hosts. Straight away, Jones’s cross-field ball fell into the path of Christo­pher Colvin Owens, who hit a first-time shot off the post.

All Peny­dar­ren’s good play was started by Brog­den and he had a shout for a penalty af­ter be­ing pulled back but the of­fi­cials waved it away.

Both sides went into the break even.

The se­cond half was all about Peny­dar­ren. Cefni look to have weath­ered the early storm when a sloppy back pass was in­ter­cepted by top-scorer Owens, who lashed in the opener.

Peny­dar­ren were now in con­trol and late on sub­sti­tute Con­nor Keat­ing was brought down in the area and Brog­den con­verted the penalty to put the tier-five South Wales Al­liance Pre­mier Di­vi­sion side, still un­beaten in all com­pe­ti­tions this sea­son, through to the semi-fi­nals.

JAMES SAXON (pic­tured in blue) scored the win­ner as Llangefni came away from Conwy with a cru­cial win last Wed­nes­day.

Cefni took the lead when a quick coun­ter­at­tack saw Harry Ga­le­otti through on goal with just the keeper to beat but he was brought down when about to shoot.

The ref­eree pointed to the spot and Iwan Jones made no mis­take.

Boro lev­elled on 40 min­utes when Sion Ho­gan broke down the left and rode two chal­lenges be­fore find­ing the far cor­ner with a low drive.

Town made a good start to the se­cond half and took a de­served lead on the hour when Saxon scored with a loop­ing header af­ter a poor punch by the goal­keeper.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.