‘It just went

Ma­rina work­shop fire caused by faulty electrics

Bangor Mail - - NEWS - Sarah Hodg­son

THE cause of a huge blaze which ripped through a work­shop on Holy­head Ma­rina last Thurs­day night has been re­vealed.

A build­ing was gut­ted in the fire, which broke out shortly after 9pm and threat­ened the nearby Holy­head RNLI sta­tion.

Wit­nesses said they heard huge ex­plo­sion sounds as fire­fight­ers ar­rived on the scene to put out the in­ferno at the build­ing, known as Trin­ity Marine.

Fol­low­ing an in­ves­ti­ga­tion, North Wales Fire and Res­cue Ser­vice said it was caused ac­ci­den­tally due to some faulty elec­tri­cal wiring.

The build­ing it­self was left as an empty shell, with some ve­hi­cles parked nearby also wrecked. The lifeboat build­ing next door suf­fered some dam­age – with the RNLI de­scrib­ing it as “bruised and bat­tered” but “op­er­a­tional” – but avoided any se­ri­ous de­struc­tion.

RNLI vol­un­teers bravely moved the in­shore lifeboat, as well as other ve­hi­cles, as the fire raged be­side them.

Gas can­is­ters were re­moved from the scene the fol­low­ing morn­ing.

More than 20 fire­fight­ers at­tended the scene.

They warned nearby res­i­dents to keep their win­dows and doors closed, while the pub­lic was urged to stay away from the area.

On­look­ers told how the scene was “crazy” after at least two loud ex­plo­sions boomed fol­lowed by the sound of sirens.

Chris Tatam was eat­ing a meal in nearby Lang­dons restau­rant when he saw the fire take hold.

He said: “It just went up so quickly.

“A man who I think was a man­ager at the restau­rant ran out­side and got hold of the fire brigade – I think he may have been a part-time fire­fighter him­self.

“Our car was parked near the build­ing that was on fire so we had to run out and move it quickly.

“It is such a shame as it’s an old build­ing and it looks like there could be a lot of dam­age.

“It’s quite windy and that doesn’t seem to have helped, but the fire ser­vice got here quickly and have been do­ing a great job – they seem to be get­ting it un­der con­trol.

“I heard two or three loud bangs. No­body seems to be in­jured which is good news.”

An­other wit­ness said: “There is a ma­jor in­ci­dent at Holy­head Ma­rina. I heard two mas­sive ex­plo­sions – I don’t even know how to de­scribe it I’ve never heard any­thing like it be­fore. Then we heard loads of sirens in the air.”

The roof of the build­ing col­lapsed dur­ing the blaze.

No­body is be­lieved to have been in­jured with the Welsh Am­bu­lance Ser­vice con­firm­ing they were not re­quired to at­tend.

Thurs­day’s fire comes just months after the ma­rina was dev­as­tated by Storm Emma.

Winds wreaked havoc in March sink­ing and wreck­ing around 80 boats re­sult­ing in mil­lions of pounds worth of dam­age.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.