‘Ac­ci­den­tal’ fire en­gulfs van

Bath Chronicle - - NEWS -

A fire which en­gulfed a van and sent a plume of black smoke ris­ing above Bath city cen­tre dur­ing a rugby match was started “ac­ci­den­tally”. Fans at the Rec were dis­tracted from the clash be­tween Bath and Glouces­ter on Satur­day af­ter­noon when thick smoke started ris­ing be­hind the sta­dium’s big screen. There were shouts from nearby wit­nesses of “fire” and early ru­mours sug­gested a blaze may have erupted at a burger van. It was later con­firmed a ve­hi­cle con­tain­ing rub­bish was the source of the fire. The fire ser­vice said the cause of the sud­den in­ferno was most likely ac­ci­den­tal. A spokesman for Avon Fire and Res­cue said crews from Bath fire sta­tion and Yate were sent to tackle the blaze at 5.16pm. They said they used a hose jet reel to ex­tin­guish the flames which dam­aged about 50 per cent of the van. A spokesman for the club said on Satur­day: “The fire started in the back of a rub­bish truck near the Wil­liam Street en­trance. “We’re not sure of the cause, but it could have been ig­nited by a ci­garette butt be­ing thrown in there.” The match, which ended in 31-31 draw, car­ried on un­in­ter­rupted af­ter the fire was re­ported just be­fore half time.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.