Chez Ni­hell de­fends ti­tle belt on ex­cit­ing show

Boxing News - - Amateurs - Matt Bozeat

ARMY stal­wart Chez Ni­hell kept his English su­per-heavy­weight ti­tle by out­point­ing Jeamie Tshikeva at the Real Ten­nis Cen­tre. Ni­hell won unan­i­mously – and de­servedly so – but he had to work hard to beat the big­ger Tshikeva (White Hart Lane), who was on the front foot through­out.

Box­ing mostly as a south­paw, Ni­hell cir­cled and landed eye catch­ing sin­gles and when Tshikeva did pin him down on the ropes or in a corner, Chez re­fused to be dom­i­nated. He punched with the heavy-handed North Lon­doner, held his own – and then es­caped. At the third at­tempt, Danny

Quar­ter­maine (Cleary’s) claimed the English light­weight ti­tle. The 20 year old was a unan­i­mous points win­ner over Lewis Frim­pony (Evolve) after a scrappy bout that fea­tured lots of grap­pling and fouls and few scor­ing punches. By the end of the open­ing round, Quar­ter­maine, a good ticket seller, was nicked and bruised around his left eye – the in­jury ruled him out of the NABGC cham­pi­onships – and the ref­eree handed Frim­pony a pub­lic warn­ing in the sec­ond for dan­ger­ous use of his head.

Best punch of the bout came in the third. Frim­pony slung a south­paw back hand that Quar­ter­maine saw com­ing and then ate a right-hand counter that made him grab.

Look out for Jake Finch. Box­ing six days after win­ning the De­vel­op­ment Class B ti­tle at 52kgs, the 18 year old stepped up to face 70-bout vet­eran Brett Hee­ley (Army) and won unan­i­mously.

Finch ap­peared to slow Hee­ley with body punches and by the last minute of the sec­ond, Hee­ley was be­ing pushed back by com­bi­na­tions and ap­peared to be feel­ing the pace.

Finch fin­ished strongly as well, box­ing be­hind his jab early in the ses­sion and then com­ing down off his toes to out­punch Hee­ley. Army light-heavy­weight John Mar­vin im­pres­sively took apart

Matt Archer (Cleary’s) in­side a round. Mar­vin was straight down to busi­ness. He found his range early with his sharp jab and opened up with a flurry that led to a count in­side the open­ing 30 sec­onds. Mar­vin kept driv­ing Archer around the ring with jabs, blood­ied his nose and with the bell only a few sec­onds away, the ref­eree waved it off.

Solid south­paw Rob Squires (Barum) unan­i­mously out­pointed

Ma­son Holmes (Army) and there was an early end to the mid­dleweight clash be­tween Ricky

Atwell (Cleary’s) and Cal­lum Hill (Army). Atwell ran onto a right hand in the sec­ond round that laid him out for a minute or so.


POW­ER­ING UP: Mar­vin [right] was an Enl­gland Box­ing Elite semi-fi­nal­ist this year

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.