Hunter over­comes signi cant size dis­ad­van­tages for a stop­page win

Boxing News - - Contents -

Heavy­weight prospect Martin Bakole un­rav­els against Michael Hunter

AMER­ICA’S Michael Hunter made light of dis­ad­van­tages in height, reach and weight (over 40lbs), and sen­sa­tion­ally halted Air­drie’s Martin Bakole in the 10th and fi­nal round at York Hall. The win de­prived Congo na­tive Bakole of his un­beaten record.

At the end of the eighth, Bakole told his cor­ner he’d in­jured his right shoul­der and wanted to pull out. Trainer Billy Nel­son in­sisted he carry on – in the event, it would have been bet­ter if he hadn’t. Hunter landed light, point-scor­ing shots all through the fight, with­out seem­ing to bother Bakole. But in the 10th, a left and three rights to the head had Bakole stag­ger­ing back into the ropes. Hunter fol­lowed up quickly with both hands, lead­ing ref­eree Phil Ed­wards to wave it off at 2-19.

EX-WBO cruis­er­weight ti­tle chal­lenger Hunter seemed dwarfed by his huge op­po­nent, but made his tac­tics clear from the out­set – move in, land and get away be­fore Bakole could re­spond. But the size dif­fer­ence al­ways made it in­trigu­ing. Bakole opened up in the sec­ond to have Hunter hold­ing on, and the Las Vegas res­i­dent grabbed for safety when caught by a right in the fourth. Hunter was cut in the cor­ner of his right eye in the fifth, and his shots were hav­ing no ef­fect. There was the feel­ing that the big­ger man could swing it, but this didn’t hap­pen.

Forced to come out for the ninth, Bakole stood off and did lit­tle. By the last, Hunter’s left eye was start­ing to close, but he came out ag­gres­sively. Bakole took stick in the cor­ner then tried to rally. How­ever, Hunter then landed a right, fol­lowed by the four-punch burst that ef­fec­tively ended it.

This Cy­clone Pro­mo­tions show pro­duced another last-round win in a va­cant Com­mon­wealth ban­tamweight ti­tle bout. Ed­in­burgh’s Lee Mcgre­gor knocked out Cameroon-born Thomas Es­somba after 1-38 of the 12th.

South­paw Es­somba – a former Com­mon­wealth fly­weight cham­pion based in Stockton-on-tees – made a good fight of it. Seem­ingly un­con­cerned by Mcgre­gor’s body blows, he had the Scot down in the fourth, but his tank gave out first. Es­somba was warned in the 11th after los­ing his gumshield (it had also hap­pened in the eighth), and in the 12th Mcgre­gor was pick­ing his shots ef­fec­tively, with Es­somba sud­denly look­ing tired. A right and two lefts to the head had Es­somba down by the ropes. The towel came in from the cor­ner, but ref­eree Ian John-lewis counted Es­somba out.

Es­somba was happy to take the fight to his ri­val, and in the fourth a left clip had Mcgre­gor over – he jumped up at once and was fu­ri­ous to be given the eight­count (cor­rectly). Mcgre­gor hit harder, and Es­somba was forced to hold at times, but the vis­i­tor was still in the fight un­til every­thing sud­denly left him.

In a 10-twos, Northamp­ton’s

Chantelle Cameron floored and out­pointed Mex­ico’s two-time world ti­tle chal­lenger Jes­sica Gon­za­lez. Judge Ed­wards scored it 100-89, while Olena Poby­vailo and Grze­gorz Molenda had it 100-88. As soon as Gon­za­lez got close she held, with ref­eree John-lewis fi­nally dock­ing her a point in the ninth. In the sev­enth, a right to the chin dropped her for ‘eight’.

Chris Bil­lam-smith (Bournemouth) won his Com­mon­wealth cruis­er­weight ti­tle elim­i­na­tor when Da­gen­ham’s Robin Dupre re­tired after five rounds (set for 10). The end of the fifth saw Dupre un­der pres­sure. At the bell, he walked over to Bil­lam-smith and em­braced him in a ges­ture of sur­ren­der. Lee Cook ref­er­eed.

Grant Den­nis (Chatham) knocked out York’s Harry Matthews after 48 sec­onds of a sched­uled six. A big right to the head had Matthews down. He jumped up quickly, then dropped to one knee to take ref­eree Cook’s count.

Jack Hil­lier (Southamp­ton) stopped Poland’s Kamil Ja­worek in the third of a slated four. Ja­worek was decked for ‘two’ in the third by a left to the body. Then a com­bi­na­tion to the head floored Ja­worek once more. Again, he was up quickly, but Mr Cook com­pleted the eight-count and sig­nalled the end after 1-47.

Wimbledon’s Louis Adolphe outscored Ather­ton’s Wil­liam War­bur­ton 60-54 for ref­eree Chas Coak­ley. The same of­fi­cial awarded 40-36 wins to Or­p­ing­ton’s Martin Hill­man over Russ Mid­g­ley (Leeds); Aaron Collins (Fleet) over Brain­tree’s Dy­lan Draper; and Lenny Fuller (Maid­stone) over Stour­bridge’s Kevin Mccauley.

THE VER­DICT Hunter proves that size isn’t every­thing.


LONG WAY BACK: Bakole is taught a cruel les­son by the in­spired Hunter

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.