Holy Cross row is not yet over
Council to consider next legal move
A PARISH council has lost its appeal against a decision by Chiltern District Council (CDC) to build hundreds of homes on a former school site.
On Tuesday, a High Court judge upheld a judgment made in July last year, which found that CDC was correct in its 2010 decision to grant permission for nearly 200 homes and a 75-bedroom care home to be built on the site of the former Holy Cross Convent School in Chalfont St Peter.
The parish council had wanted to move Chalfont St Peter CofE Academy to the site, to ease the school’s capacity problems, which would have left room for fewer homes to be built.
However, Lord Justice Moore-Brick found that was not a viable alternative, and dismissed the appeal.
Councillor Richard Allen said the parish council was considering its next move.
“It’s very disappointing but it’s not over yet. We need to think carefully about what we do.
“It doesn’t seem to make sense at a time when the county needs more schools to do this,” he said.
The parish council’s argument had included a contention about the amount of playing area which would be lost if the development were to go ahead.
But Lord Justice MooreBrick said it was up to Chiltern District Council to determine the extent of the site’s playing fields.
In a statement, the parish council said: “If a consultation had been undertaken early on and the clear wishes of the community had been taken into account, before the district council’s Core Strategy was formulated, we would not have ended up in court attempting to resolve issues that could have easily been dealt with earlier in the process.”
Councillor Don Phillips, Chairman of CDC planning committee said: “We have never been in any doubt that our planning decision making process is robust and the judgement of the High Court publicly confirmed this on 28 October. We were pleased with his decision, and trust that our two authorities can now put this matter behind us and move forwards.”