Road shows the way to meet de­mand from cars

The Cen­tre for Buck­ing­hamshire Stud­ies

Buckinghamshire Advertiser - - PEOPLE AND PLACES -

PHO­TOS have been found re­veal­ing the cre­ation of the A355 road as we now know it.

Buck­ing­hamshire County Coun­cil re­leased the ar­chive pho­tos as part of its 125-year an­niver­sary pro­mo­tion on Face­book.

The pic­tures show how the county met the chal­lenge of in­creas­ing num­ber of cars on the roads in the 30s by up­dat­ing the road.

Un­der the Lo­cal Gov­ern­ment Act, 1929, Bucks County Coun­cil be­came re­spon­si­ble for all pub­lic high­ways in ru­ral dis­tricts, and this in­cluded what we now know as the A355.

It took the to­tal mileage of county roads to 1,627.

The county records de­scribe how in the late 19th and early 20th cen­turies roads like th­ese were made of lo­cal gravel and field flints, aug­mented by gran­ite from quar­ries in Le­ices­ter­shire.

Later, roads, like the one from Slough to Bea­cons­field pic­tured, that car­ried heav­ier traf­fic were usu­ally cov­ered with a layer of tar to pre­vent dis­in­te­gra­tion.

The A355 in the 1920s County Hall, Walton Street, Ayles­bury, Bucks, HP20 1UU. Phone: 01296 382587 E-Mail: ar­chives@buckscc.gov.uk

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.