A special day spent in a special village
COULD I through your paper thank the people of Chalfont St Giles for making my wedding day in August so special.
I have lived in the village all my life, as have my parents and grandparents.
When I came to organise our day, I was amazed to find so much available in our small village.
Chris and Peter Hall from Active Photography captured the moments perfectly.
The people at the parish church made beautiful flower arrangements and a special thanks must go to Gill and Pete Dean.
My bouquet from Justine Faiers, was equally amazing.
We chose The White Hart, in Three Households, for our reception and they allowed two of my guiding friends, Sarah Bishop and Nicky Dodd, to decorate.
Sarah and Nicky also organised a brownie guard of honour for us.
The food and accommodation at The White Hart was excellent.
So many people did so much to make our day extra special.
Unfortunately I am having to move out of the village due to housing costs and once our home is ready will be moving to Iver, however I will still have special links with Chalfont St Giles as it is a big part of my life continuing as a brownie leader at my local pack.
My message to all the people of the village that feel they have to go out of the area for things is don’t – you will be amazed at what this small beautiful village has to offer.
LIZ COLE (NEE BREE)
Seymour Road Chalfont St Giles
77-year-old mother of four who died as the result of asbestos exposure when washing her husband’s clothes.
Unfortunately, it is sad but true that this story is not unique as dangers of asbestos were not widely understood during the 60s when her husband worked as a joiner.
As the general manager of The UK Asbestos Training Association, I would like to pass on my sincere condolences to her family. This case acts to raise awareness of the threat of asbestos, not just to your readers’ health, but to the health of their families as well.
Now that we know the dangers, displaying a sense of bravado when it comes to the substance is inexcusable.
When left undisturbed, the ‘silent killer’ is harmless, however the danger comes when toxic asbestos spores become airborne as the result of any disturbance to the materials.
With many thinking the threat is a thing of the past, firms are putting the issue down the list of priorities when it comes to health and safety training, which is totally unjustifiable.
We currently have a list of more than 170 UKATA approved members who provide training on the safe identification, handling and disposal of asbestos to contractors across the country.
If you’re a contractor who has not received the correct training in accordance with HSE legislation, I urge you to consider why not.
This is an important question that might not just save your life, but the lives of your loved ones as well.
CRAIG EVANS General manager UK Asbestos Training Association
The accommodation above the library is committed on a long lease and is not available.
The agenda and minutes of each council and committee meeting is published monthly and each is preceded by a public forum.
Before the election in May there will be opportunity for interested residents to seek nomination as candidates. The council currently is made up of 12 independent members.
To sum up, we need office accommodation for the clerk and the council records and we can anticipate an increasing workload with tasks devolved from the under-funded county council to town and parish councils.
This work can not be undertaken by a home-based employee.
Mrs Lamb has misunderstood the situation in spite of having served for more than six years as a parish councillor before resigning to pursue her interests elsewhere.
BILL WARREN Chairman of Chalfont St Giles