Many cel­e­bra­tions to hon­our town links with sub­ma­rine

Amer­sham Mu­seum


THIS large wooden shield in Amer­sham Mu­seum bears the badge of the Ad­mi­ralty, be­low which is a small brass plate with

49 High Street, Old Amer­sham, Bucks, HP7 0DP Phone: 01494 723700 www.amer­sham­mu­

the im­pres­sive legend ‘Pre­sented by the Lords Com­mis­sion­ers of the Ad­mi­ralty to Amer­sham Ru­ral Dis­trict Coun­cil to com­mem­o­rate the adop­tion of HMS P42 dur­ing War­ship Week, March 1942’.

War­ship Weeks were or­gan­ised dur­ing the Sec­ond World War by the Na­tional Sav­ings Com­mit­tee, with the support of the Ad­mi­ralty, to stim­u­late loans from the pub­lic by set­ting sav­ings tar­gets ap­pro­pri­ate to the size of the com­mu­nity.

For Amer­sham the fig­ure was £500,000 and this equated to the cost of a sub­ma­rine. 25 sub­marines in all were thus adopted of which Amer­sham ap­pears to have been the fourth in the se­quence. Amer­sham’s sub­ma­rine ‘Un­bro­ken’ was first regis­tered as sim­ply P42.

In Oc­to­ber 1943, some 20 sub­mariners, many of the crew of HMS Un­bro­ken, came to Amer­sham to for­malise the town’s adop­tion of the ves­sel and its crew.

They ar­rived on a Fri­day af­ter­noon and left on Sun­day morn­ing and the records show that there were ‘many cel­e­bra­tions’.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.