Singer braved flat fire to save old man
Musician was in Berlin for New Year’s Eve party
A MUSICIAN ran back into a burning building to rescue an old man who could not walk, after a fire broke out at a New Year’s Eve party.
Singer Ben McKelvey, 26, of Station Road, Beaconsfield, was attending a party in Germany for the new year, at the top of a block of flats, when a fire consumed the roof of the building.
It was only when Mr McKelvey’s friend Paul Nagle, also from Beaconsfield, smelt smoke that they were alerted and fled the flat.
Mr McKelvey said: “We were celebrating New Year’s Eve in Berlin, my girlfriend is German and we have friends there. My friend Paul smelt smoke and raised the alarm to get everyone out.”
There were 60 to 70 people in the flat, Mr McKelvey was one of the last to leave with everyone scrambling out as the roof was engulfed in flames.
“We were banging on doors letting people know there was a fire. I was running down the stairs and we saw there were old people in the flat, we were screaming together to get them all out,” said Mr McKelvey.
It was then
the singer saw firemen coming up the stairs with masks and hoses but he also heard his friend Heidrun calling for help as she struggled to get an old man out.
He could not walk so Mr McKelvey went back to help him down the remaining three flights of stairs.
The brave singer said: “It was scary, but happened quite fast. I just reacted, running back in to help. We carried him over our shoulders and down the stairs, it was lucky no one died.”
Mr McKelvey and his friend were sick in the street from inhaling smoke and were helped by firefighters. The flames had destroyed the roof, and the building was ruined by water damage, leaving Mr McKelvey’s friends homeless.
He is now appealing to people to help him raise funds to replace their belongings.
“They are staying somewhere temporarily,” he said. “But they are students, and need replacement laptops.
“We have already met my target, so I raised it to £300.”
Ben has released his own music, and performs with Mr Nagle on stage.
To help, visit www. gofundme.com/berlinfire for details.
CHEQUE THIS OUT: Pudsey at Wexham Park Hospital with Jasper Reading, Lily CastleMason, senior resuscitation officer Vicky Swain and Maisy and Ruby Castle-Mason PUDSEY made a return The mascot of the Friday (see story, left). visit to a hospital to say BBC charity visited On Monday, Pudsey a second thank you for Wexham Park Hospital met children who took money raised for the for the second time in part in the November Children in Need 72 hours on Monday, marathon and received appeal. after dropping on on the money raised.