Re­warded with bumper con­tract

Chairboys says chair­man ‘knows how to man­age peo­ple’

Buckinghamshire Advertiser - - SPORT - By Paul War­bur­ton paul.war­bur­ton@trin­i­tymir­ror.com

WY­COMBE boss Gareth Ainsworth ad­mits he likes deal­ing with a chair­man whose de­ci­sions ‘are not based on emo­tion’.

The 41-year-old is cel­e­brat­ing a five-and-a-half year deal this week, the long­est any­where in the Foot­ball League since the one handed to Alan Pardew at New­cas­tle in Septem­ber 2012.

It is a due re­ward for a man who turned around a club on the verge of ex­it­ing the Foot­ball League to one that tops League Two.

The man who has pledged faith in the for­mer QPR man­ager could not be more of a con­trast to Ainsworth’s pre­vi­ous boss.

He cut his teeth or, more ac­cu­rately, was left grind­ing them at the an­tics back at Lof­tus Road in 2008.

Er­ratic Ital­ian mag­nate Flavio Bri­a­tore al­lowed cam­eras to film a set-up where mad­cap de­ci­sions ruled a club in dis­ar­ray, with Ainsworth man­fully try­ing to pull the dis­jointed ends to­gether.

Now, with An­drew Howard lead­ing Wy­combe with a prac­ti­cal down-to-earth plan, Ainsworth is the hap­pier with a chair­man whose prag­matic business skills start with feet firmly planted on the ground.

A squad visit to Howard’s ice cream fac­tory re­cently was a timely jolt that a life in foot­ball is

NEW DEAL:

Gareth Ainsworth lux­ury com­pared to the lot of the work­ing man.

The man­ager said: “We’ve put a few team-build­ing things in place to re­mind them how lucky they are. This is life ed­u­ca­tion, and although it’s 90 per cent foot­ball, the other 10 per cent is other things.

“Bri­a­tore and An­drew Howard? It’s worlds apart.

“Chair­men can be fans and their ex­pec­ta­tion lev­els are some­times in­flu­enced by fans.

“Our chair­man is a Leeds fan for a start. He won’t make de­ci­sions based on emo­tion. He’s a business man who knows how to man­age peo­ple.

“With­out him man­ag­ing me, I don’t think we would be do­ing as well this sea­son – and he doesn’t speak Ital­ian.”

Ainsworth was re­luc­tant to con­firm his ten­ure at Adams Park, fear­ful it might de­tract from the business end on the pitch.

He added: “The boys know how long I’m here for.

“I don’t want to put added pres­sure on any­one at the club, but at the mo­ment it’s all about the boys.”

Chair­boy fans trav­el­ling to Mans­field for Satur­day’s sec­ond away day on the spin, fol­low­ing last Satur­day’s 1-1 draw at Bury, are re­minded it is all-ticket with no cash ad­mit­tance to Field Mill on the day.

With­out him I don’t think we would be do­ing as well this sea­son – and he doesn’t speak Ital­ian”

CUP GOAL: Con­nor Cum­ber

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.