The history of a long-surviving doorstep
HADDON’S the Chemists, at 38 High Street, was run by Albert Haddon and then, later, by his son, Laurie, who was also an optician.
His optical instruments are now on display in Amersham Museum.
The business certainly aimed to provide a wide range of products marketing itself as: “Chemists, Opticians, Stationers and Wine and Spirit Merchants”.
The shop is now Orvis, but the original chemist’s drawers have been retained and the Haddon name can still be seen in this mosaic on the front step.
Albert Haddon came to Amersham in the October of 1892, the first week that saw the official opening of the extension of the Metropolitan Line railway to Aylesbury and beyond.
Laurie Haddon retired in 1966.
ANTHONY DEL TUFO,
Haddon’s Pharmacy offered a wide range of goods and services
The original mosaic doorstep from Haddon’s Pharmacy still exists 49 High Street Old Amersham, HP7 0DP 01494 723700 www.amershammuseum.org