United miss out on dra­matic come­back


Buckinghamshire Advertiser - - SPORT -

MANAGER Lisa Welling had to pull on the gloves as Che­sham United Ladies were with­out a goal­keeper for Sun­day’s clash at Tower Hill.

The vis­i­tors paid the price, con­ced­ing two early goals af­ter hav­ing the bet­ter of early ex­changes, but Che­sham changed things around, with Livvi Har­ris com­ing into the back line and cap­tain Dawne Camp­bell mov­ing up front. Al­most im­me­di­ately, Camp­bell latched onto Anna Im­ries’ through ball and squared for Sarah Tyas to fire home from a tight an­gle be­fore the break.

The home side strung to­gether a de­cent move to grab a third be­fore a poor back pass gifted them their fourth, so with 15 min­utes re­main­ing Che­sham switched to a back three and surged for­ward, and a goal mouth scram­ble was buried by Tyas.

Camp­bell then re­ally came alive, coolly fin­ish­ing to make a real fi­nale which was all Che­sham.

Naomi Lit­tler spurned a chance to equalise when she hit her shot

(Left, cen­tre) Che­sham United Ladies’ Sarah Tyas was on tar­get against Tower Hill; (right) the U18s won 4-3 af­ter be­ing three goals down at the keeper, as did Camp­bell from a free kick, who was de­nied again when a curl­ing shot head­ing to­wards the top cor­ner was tipped away by the keeper just be­fore the fi­nal whis­tle.

But there was joy for the U18s, who threw away a three-goal lead against Thatcham & Caver­sham be­fore Katie Squire net­ted a dra­matic late win­ner in the League Cup quar­ter fi­nals, de­spite manager An­drew Jack­son hav­ing just 11 play­ers avail­able.

Pia Davis put Che­sham a goal up on 10 min­utes and with Lau­ren Gomez- Cullen and Sasha Pond bat­tling well in the mid­dle, Amy Batkin dou­bled their ad­van­tage be­fore Davis grabbed her sec­ond be­fore the break.

Che­sham had looked com­fort­able, but were pegged back in the sec­ond half as the Berk­shire side came fly­ing at them, pulling three goals back to level the game but, not to be de­nied, Squire stepped up with a last gasp win­ner to se­cure a 4-3 victory and book a semi fi­nal against Maiden­head.

Else­where, the U14s re­main top of their di­vi­sion, but again dropped points with a 0-0 draw at Penn & Tylers where Che­sham was of­ten the bet­ter team but strug­gled to pen­e­trate in the fi­nal third.

The U13s and U12s lost 5-1 and 3-0 re­spec­tively, while the U10s are back train­ing on Satur­day morn­ings.

The club is look­ing for pri­mary school girls to join them.

Fur­ther de­tails are on www. culfc.co.uk.



Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.