Church bell from Chesham Bois
It was originally cast by Kebyll of London sometime between 1460 and 1480 and is thus over 500 years ago.
It was eventually removed from the church’s bell tower many years ago because it had poor tone.
It was replaced by a tenor bell which was presented to the church by Colonel Hanbury Sparrow in memory of two children killed by bombs during the War.
The grave of the younger child is in the east side of the churchyard: the elder died in Dresden.
In medieval times, cathedrals usually had five bells while most churches only had two.
In fact, St Leonard’s has three bells.
The tenor bell is the largest and heaviest bell in the tower and
Second World sounds the lowest note.
Because of its weight, it proved very difficult to move into the museum building.