ANY Gerrards Crossers will be familiar with the popular roads on the periphery of Dukes Wood dedicated to St Hubert but fewer will know of the mansion with the same name, which has been hidden away in 50 acres of prime Gerrards Cross land close by.
According to local estate agent Trevor Kent, who opened his agency in 1971 and whose family connections in the area date back to the 1850s, the earliest record of a home on this site was in 1746 when it was known as Langley House.
The only remnant of this original property is believed to be a fireplace incorporated in the re-build of 1847. The new house was designed by Edward Buckton Lamb on behalf of the locally famous and very rich Misses Reid. So wealthy were they, and so fond of early Gerrards Cross that, when their brother General Reid died, they didn’t just buy a memorial stone for him – they built a church!
Dedicated to St James, it became the parish church of Gerrards Cross, the Misses Reids’ powers of persuasion having also obtained the building site for free from none other than the Duke of Somerset of Bulstrode.
St Huberts’ next owner was the retired Lord Mayor of Liverpool and MP for both Malden and Lincoln, John Bramley Moore. Even then the Misses Reid hadn’t given up – was it a coincidence that John’s son William became the first vicar of St James? He must have liked the healthy air of Gerrards Cross as the good vicar fathered some 16 children!
Bramley Moore sold to Colonel the Honourable William Le Poer Trench whose wife became one of the wealthiest women in the country when she inherited a fortune of £13 million after her father died in 1861. She and her husband spent most of it lavishly entertaining the Prince of Wales and his entourage (and ladies!) at St Huberts, and it is said that the future King Edward VII virtually bankrupted them.
After a brief time as a girls’ school during the Second World War, after which it was rented as a diplomatic mission, it became a private house once again. Its connections with royalty and the sporting life can still be seen today in the form of a splendid, life-sized bronze stag by Landseer, a gift to the colonel from the Prince of Wales, standing proudly over the front porch.
St Huberts Lane and St Huberts Close are both named after the historic local landmark and homes that go up for sale in these roads are always sought after.
Currently on the market with Trevor Kent in St Huberts Close is an extremely handsome detached four double bedroom family home presented immaculately throughout with lovely mature gardens to either side measuring slightly under a quarter of an acre.
St Huberts Close is within a 20-minute level walk of Gerrards Cross village and The Gerrards Cross C of E School in Moreland Drive.
The ground floor has a charming triple-aspect lounge with an attractive brick fireplace and beamed ceiling, family room/TV room with patio doors to the well-manicured garden and patio, study, a well-presented kitchen/breakfast room with central island and a dining room with patio doors leading onto the gardens.There is also a utility and cloakroom with WC to the ground floor.
The property could be reconfigured upstairs to create a five bedroom home.The master bedroom currently has a dressing room and en-suite.There are three further double bedrooms and a bathroom.
The guide price is £1,100,000. For more information please contact Trevor Kent on 01753 885522.