Ruth­less killer con­victed of stran­gling vul­ner­a­ble mother

Buckinghamshire Advertiser - - FRONT PAGE -

by Tom Her­bert tom.her­bert@trin­i­tymir­

Twit­ter: @TRHer­bert A MAN has been sen­tenced to life im­pris­on­ment for stran­gling a 34-yearold pros­ti­tute in his car be­fore dump­ing her body in a Ger­rards Cross lay-by.

Navin Mo­han, 35, of no fixed abode, will serve a min­i­mum of 21 years and 191 days for the bru­tal mur­der of ‘vul­ner­a­ble’ mother Anita Kapoor, from Hayes, Lon­don.

Mo­han, wear­ing a grey jumper and shak­ing his head, was found guilty by a unan­mi­mous jury at Read­ing Crown Court on Mon­day and sen­tenced on Tues­day.

Ms Kapoor’s half-naked body was found by a lorry driver on the morn­ing of Tues­day, June 23, in un­der­growth close to the Amer­sham Road, A413. She had been stran­gled to death in the early hours.

Ear­lier, the court was told Ms Kapoor’s boyfriend, Stan­ley Flan­ders, 50, had heard Ms Kapoor – who had been suf­fer­ing from de­pres­sion – beg­ging for her life on the phone at 4.10am.

He over­heard her say: “Please, please leave me. Let me go, please let me go. I won’t say noth­ing, I won’t say noth­ing.”

Pros­e­cu­tor John Price told the jury: “Then for the first time he heard the man’s voice. It sounded to him like that of a young Asian man and he heard it say th­ese words – ‘Watch it, you’re go­ing to kill your­self’.

“The call was then ter­mi­nated at the other end.”

Mr Flan­ders called po­lice and re­ported her miss­ing at 5.33am af­ter re­peat­edly try­ing to con­tact her but find­ing her phone turned off.

Mr Price said Ms Kapoor was last seen on CCTV get­ting into a red Nis­san Mi­cra on Saxon Road, Southall, at 4.05am on June 23. CCTV showed the car, reg­is­tered to Mo­han’s ad­dress of the time, head­ing to a cash­point near a Sains­bury’s in Hayes. It then showed the car head­ing to a se­cure in­dus­trial es­tate com­pound, away from CCTV cam­eras, at 4.16am.

Mr Price told the jury the car left the com­pound at 4.40am and trav­elled di­rectly to the lay-by be­tween Chal­font St Peter and Ger­rards Cross hav­ing been cap­tured by var­i­ous cam­eras.

A foren­sic ex­am­i­na­tion of the Mi­cra re­vealed Ms Kapoor’s DNA in the car, in the form of blood­stains and hairs.

Fol­low­ing the ver­dict, Adrian Foster, Chief Crown Pros­e­cu­tor for Thames and Chiltern Crown Pros­e­cu­tion Ser­vice, said: “The mo­tive for the killing re­mains a mystery, but what is clear is that Mo­han is an ex­tremely ruth­less, vi­o­lent and dan­ger­ous man.”

Guilty: Navin Mo­han has been sen­tenced to life for the mur­der of Anita Kapoor. The judge called him ruth­less,

vi­o­lent and dan­ger­ous

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.