Owner’s shock as nursery gutted by fire
No damage to structure of building as clear-up operation begins
The ground floor and first floor of the two-storey Brindley House were ablaze and firefighters rushed to the detached building on Burkes Road at about 4.45pm on Saturday (July 16).
Andrew Bain, director of the nursery, spoke of his distress when he found out and described how the building was covered in soot.
He said: “We’re very upset because we have had it for quite a long time – you can imagine. We are trying to assess [the damage].”
He added: “We’ve operated it for 10 years so yes, it was a shock.”
Mr Bain said that despite the fire there was no structural damage to the building.
“Once we were allowed in [the building] it was mainly smoke damage,” he said: “The structure is sound as anything so there’s nothing wrong with the building.”
The nursery is currently closed and Mr Bain said they will try to re-open as soon as possible.
He said: “We’re shut at the moment. We have no idea [when we will reopen].
“We are looking to open as soon as we can but we have got alternative arrangements in place for the short term.”
Brindley House is operated by Beaconsfield Childcare and caters for children between threeyears-old to five years of age.
Beaconsfield Childcare also operate Northgate House in the Old Town.
One appliance and crew from Beaconsfield, two from High Wycombe and one from Hayes attended, along with an officer.
Firefighters used a main jet, two hose reels, four sets of breathing apparatus, a turntable ladder and a PPV (positive pressure ventilation) fan and carried out a re-inspection at 9pm.
The fire brigade is currently looking into the cause of the fire. They have been contacted for comment.
Have you been affected by the fire? Were you there? Get in touch with reporter Tom Herbert at tom.herbert@trinitymirror. com