This grand­fa­ther from Ger­rards Cross is on trial for mur­der:

70-year-old de­nies mur­der­ing pedes­trian, 69, he as­saulted with his fists and feet

Buckinghamshire Advertiser - - NEWS -

A 70-year-old grand­fa­ther mur­dered a pen­sioner in a fit of rage after a row on a pedes­trian cross­ing.

Paul David­son, 69, died three days after sus­tain­ing frac­tured ribs – that punc­tured his lungs and ab­domen – in the at­tack in Chal­font St Peter.

He had been us­ing the cross­ing in Mar­ket Place when he got into an aler­ca­tion with Odysseas Vafi­adis, driver of a white Skoda Yeti who had had to stop to let Mr David­son pass.

The pair ex­changed words be­fore Mr Vafi­adis start­ing throw­ing punches and kicks at Mr David­son’s face, arm and back, frac­tur­ing four ribs which led to his death three days later, Read­ing Crown Court was told on Tues­day.

Mr Vafi­adis, of Bir­chadale, Ger­rards Cross, is charged with mur­der and man­slaugh­ter. He pleaded not guilty to both charges.

Prose­cut­ing, Ian Hope, told the jury the de­fen­dant was driv­ing his grand­son home from a leisure cen­tre on Novem­ber 6 last year when he stopped at the ze­bra cross­ing to let Mr David­son walk across.

The Chal­font St Peter res­i­dent had been at a fast food restau­rant, hav­ing left his part­ner Ni­cola Fer­gu­son at the White Hart ho­tel where they had spent a cou­ple of hours.

A com­bi­na­tion of Vafi­adis’ driv­ing and Mr David­son’s ‘am­bling’ on the ze­bra cross­ing led to an ex­change of words be­fore Vafi­adis landed a num­ber of punches and kicks dur­ing one minute and 45 sec­onds of rage, said Mr Hope.

“It is quite clear Mr Vafi­adis lost his tem­per. He launched an as­sault on him with his fists, his feet and then his fists again,” he added.

“Mr David­son’s part­ner, Ni­cola Fer­gu­son, made a state­ment where she said Mr Vafi­adis re­peat­edly kicked Mr David­son as he was on the floor.

An­other wit­ness de­scribed see­ing a man be­ing lifted from the floor and be­ing slammed down onto the pave­ment like some­one would slam a bas­ket­ball into a net.

Mr Hope con­tin­ued: “The in­ci­dent lasted just short of two min­utes and Mr Vafi­adis left the scene in his Skoda with his grand­son in the pas­sen­ger seat.”

Doc­tors did not ini­tially di­ag­nose Mr David­son with bro­ken bones but the bruis­ing wors­ened overnight and Mrs Fer­gu­son no­ticed ‘enor­mous’ bruis­ing on his back, the jury was told.

After re­turn­ing from walk­ing his dog three day’s later, Mr David­son vom­ited and col­lapsed. Mrs Fer­gu­son called paramedics but Mr David­son later died from com­pli­ca­tions in­clud­ing a haemo-pneumo tho­rax.

Mr Vafi­adis was ar­rested later the same day.

Mr Hope added: “When Mr Vafi­adis was ar­rested he told po­lice Mr David­son ap­proached his win­dow and he called him an id­iot. He said the male grabbed him around the neck and still had a mark.

“He said he punched the male in the face once with force. He also said he heard the male’s head go ‘clunk’ on the floor.”

Mrs Fer­gu­son told ju­rors she saw the driver ‘sprint’ to where Mr David­son was stand­ing, grab him round the neck and throw a punch.

She said: “Paul col­lapsed on the floor by the green­gro­cers. The driver, when Paul was on the floor, re­lent­lessly and re­peat­edly kicked him.

“It wasn’t like two guys hav­ing a punch up. He was hell­bent on kick­ing Paul.”

The trial con­tin­ues.

Ac­cused: Odysseas Vafi­adis de­nies the mur­der and man­slaugh­ter of Paul David­son

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.