Man dies days after ‘be­ing stamped on’

Am­bu­lance crew tells court a shoe im­print was found on his back

Buckinghamshire Advertiser - - NEWS - by Tom Her­bert tom.her­bert@trin­i­tymir­ Twit­ter: @TRHer­bert

A MAN was stamped on dur­ing a fight that led to his death three days later, a court was told.

Paul David­son, 69, suf­fered frac­tured ribs that punc­tured his lungs and ab­domen fol­low­ing the row in Mar­ket Place, Chal­font St Peter.

Odysseas Vafiadis has been charged with mur­der and man­slaugh­ter. He has pleaded not guilty to both charges.

Kristina Wal­dock was part of the am­bu­lance crew that ar­rived at the scene last Novem­ber and said: “Look­ing at the pa- tient from where I was I saw this shoe mark on him and it looked like he had been stamped on.”

She added: “You could see the treads im­printed into Paul’s back.”

Giv­ing ev­i­dence to the jury at Read­ing Crown Court on Fri­day Septem­ber 9, Mark Kerr, am­bu­lance tech­ni­cian, said: “On his back he had what ap­peared to be an im­print from a boot or shoe.”

It is al­leged that Vafiadis, of Birch­dale, Ger­rards Cross, mur­dered Mr David­son in a fit of rage at the cross­ing in Novem­ber last year. The two got into a fight when Vafiadis stopped his car to let Mr David­son cross the road.

The pair ex­changed words be­fore Vafiadis al­legedly threw punches and kicks at Mr David­son.

Char­lie Humphries, from Chal­font St Peter, said the con­fronta­tion at the ze­bra cross­ing ‘was al­most like a tug of war’.

Mr Humphries said the man on the floor was ‘ly­ing on his bum’ and hold­ing onto the jacket of the other man, who was ‘stand­ing up and lean­ing over’ him.

He added: “There were sev­eral peo­ple shout­ing ‘let go’.

Joshua Al­lan, who lives near the ze­bra cross­ing, said he heard ‘mul­ti­ple horns beep­ing’ out­side, which led him to look out of his win­dow.

He said: “I got up and I looked out of the win­dow into the high street.

“I had a look down and I see a man get­ting as­saulted.

“When I looked out of the win­dow he was al­most on top of the other man.”

He added the man on the floor was ‘up against the wall of a shop and had hands in the air try­ing to de­fend him­self’.

He said: “There was a group of six to eight teenagers and they were phys­i­cally try­ing to take the man off the other one.

“Three or four of them were shout­ing ‘get off, get off’.

“The rest were try­ing to break ev­ery­thing up.”

The trial con­tin­ues.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.