Tragic festival teen felt she was ‘invincible’
Coroner told of lethal cocktail of drugs taken by 18-year-old
A CHESHAM teenager died after taking a lethal cocktail of class A drugs, a coroner has ruled.
Olivia Christopher, who was a student at St Clement Danes School, binged on ketamine, cocaine and ecstasy pills before she was found by her boyfriend, Daniel Holmes, face down in her tent on the final day of the BoomTown festival.
The 18-year-old took a number of class A drugs into the festival, which was held near Winchester, in August, and bought further pills there. She had also been drinking wine throughout the day.
Olivia, known as Livvy to friends, was seen snorting cocaine and ketamine from a key and had taken MDMA before heading out in the evenings.
Grahame Short, senior coroner for Mid-Hampshire, also heard she had taken liquid acid and sleeping pills and died as a result of poisoning from MDMA and Etizolam.
The inquest, which took place on Monday, heard that Olivia was wearing a black and white onesie when she was pulled from her tent. Her boyfriend of two and a half months had woken to find her cold and unresponsive and had called for help.
Security staff at the event said Olivia was found with her hand clenched in a fist and had her jaw shut tight.
They also noticed her lips had turned purple and her head had become swollen.
Mr Holmes told the coroner that he had woken during the night to find Olivia asleep next to him and then unconscious hours later.
He said: “I don’t think I knew her to go out at all. The most she did was go to a friend’s house. I knew she had taken drugs in the past.
“I was surprised at the quantity of drugs she was taking. I didn’t think they had that much of an effect on her.
“She seemed in control. There were no sudden signs of being extremely tired. It was smaller quantities and she was taking a lot in small doses throughout the day.
“I woke up at 11am and my friend woke us up and said we need to leave. I tried getting Livvy’s attention but there was no movement or response so I tilted her onto her back.
“There were a few signs she didn’t look well. I pulled her out of the tent and called for my friends.”
Olivia had bought small green pills with a Heinz Baked Beans logo on them before taking some red pills belonging to her friends.
Recording a conclusion of drug-related death Coroner Mr Short said the toxic levels of MDMA and Etizolam had caused her to become unresponsive.
He said: “Olivia was found dead some time around 11.15am. I find that Olivia died due to poisoning by MDMA and Etizolam, the two drugs that were of high levels.
“She was not prescribed these drugs. These were drugs she chose to take. Other drugs contributed to her death.
“Given the history I have the impression Olivia felt she could continue to take large quantities of drugs with no consequences with the misapprehension of invincibility.”
Olivia is the fourth person to die in seven years due to drugs at BoomTown Festival since it started in 2009.
More than £80,000 of drugs were seized by police at this year’s event and £55,000 worth was put into amnesty bins.
Death: Olivia Christopher who died from poisoning by MDMA and Etizolam. Below, revellers at the BoomTown Festival