Family awarded £30k after bug ruined holiday
Thirteen hit with sickness in five-star resort
A FAMILY of 15 has been awarded £30,000 compensation after all but two of them were hit by a crippling stomach bug during a five star holiday.
Brian and Pamela Pilling, from Chesham, jetted off on a £17,000 holiday to Sharm el Sheikh, Egypt, in August 2015 on a holiday booked through Thomson.
But within days they were both struck by down by sickness, stomach cramps, diarrhoea and fever, which became so severe doctors placed them on drips.
They were prescribed medications for acute gastroenteritis and dehydration and remained severely unwell - despite spending £700 on doc- tor’s fees.
Over the course of their two-week stay at Sea Club Resort, other members of the party started to experience similar symptoms.
All 13 were still ill when they flew home, with some unable to return to work for days.
Retired Mr Pilling said he ‘wishes we had never gone’, and added: “One very expensive holiday ruined.”
Mr Pilling and his wife were also forced to cancel a planned holiday to France in September 2015 as their GP feared they were still too weak to travel.
Fortunately all family members have now made a full recovery, but Mr Pilling believes it was poor food hygiene.
He said: “All the food seemed to be of quite good quality. but my son-in-law spotted some chicken that still looked pink at the barbecue.
“As the area was dimly lit, we only noticed the colour of the meat after most of the family had already eaten.
“We were also con- cerned by the number of sparrows flying around and in the beach restaurant. Although the restaurant was covered and surrounded by netting, the birds had an always open entrance to fly in and out of and were always seen around any uncovered food.”
Solicitor Sue Robinson, of Your Holiday Claims, a division of Farnworth Rose Solicitors, handled all 13 claims for compensation on a no win no fee basis, securing a £29,850 settlement.
She said: “I am over- joyed that I was able to help Brian, Pamela and their family obtain compensation after such a dreadful experience at Sea Club Resort.
“Throughout 2015 and in 2016, we were inundated with enquiries from stricken Sea Club guests. Many had suffered gastric illness symptoms, like the Pillings, and faced out of pocket expenses for medical care or missed days at work on their return home.
“Unfortunately, many holidaymakers simply remain unaware that if they suffer from illness on a package holiday due to negligence on behalf of the tour operator, a claim for compensation can be made from right here in the UK.
“I strongly urge anyone who has fallen foul of hygiene standards on a package holiday within the past three years to come forward and contact Your Holiday Claims for expert legal advice and support.”
Thomson had not commented as we went to press.
‘Ruined holiday’: Members of the Pilling family who were struck down with illness in Egypt; (below) Brian and Pamela Pilling