Bed­room blaze was caused by lamp fall­ing onto mat­tress

Buckinghamshire Advertiser - - NEWS -

Crews from Amer­sham and Beaconsfield raced to Highfield Close on Thurs­day August 24 to re­ports of a house fire.

A touch-ac­ti­vated bed­side lamp had been knocked over onto the foam mat­tress with the re­sult­ing fire dam­ag­ing the bed­room, hall, stairs and land­ing of the house.

Called out at around 11.30am, fire­fight­ers used one hose reel, two sets of breath­ing ap­pa­ra­tus and a PPV fan and car­ried out a home fire risk check.

They re­moved the mat­tress from the house, which suf­fered dam­age from the smoke and molten foam.

Bucks and MK Fire has now is­sued a reminder for peo­ple to switch ap­pli­ances off at the socket when not in use.

Amer­sham crew com­man­der Char­lie Walters said: “The woman at the prop­erty was not aware the lamp had fallen onto the mat­tress and left the room.

“A short while later she smelt smoke, and on in- ves­ti­ga­tion found the heat gen­er­ated by the 60 watt bulb had caused the mat­tress to be­gin smoul­der­ing. She called 999 and the op­er­a­tor ad­vised her to leave the house.

“When we ar­rived we found smoke log­ging to the bed­room. When we lifted the mat­tress, the foam com­busted and be­gan to melt so we re­moved it from the house and used a hose reel to put the fire out.”

Crew Com­man­der Walters added: “It is re­ally im­por­tant to be aware of any elec­tri­cal items or ap­pli­ances which you have plugged into sock­ets and if they don’t need to be switched on when you are not in the room con­sider turn­ing them off.

“I would also urge peo­ple to check they have work­ing smoke alarms in­stalled in every level of their home.

“On this oc­ca­sion the quick re­ac­tions of the woman in notic­ing the smell and calling 999 meant she was able to able to get out of the prop­erty safely, and call us out be­fore the sit­u­a­tion de­vel­oped into some­thing more se­ri­ous. How­ever, she also had alarms which went off once the smoke reached them, and would have helped raise the alarm had she been fur­ther away from source of the smoke.”

Visit http://bucks­fire. gov.uk/ in­dex . php?cID=1262 for more fire safety ad­vice. the

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.