Amer­sham make it through de­spite melee spoil­ing match

Buckinghamshire Advertiser - - SPORT -

AMER­SHAM Town made it through to the sec­ond round of the Spar­tan South Midlands Divi­sion Two Cup with a 3-0 win away at Tring Town.

In only the sec­ond minute Amer­sham’s Jamie Al­dred broke down the mid­dle but Tring keeper Steve Birchenall was out quickly to smother the ball. A series of Amer­sham at­tacks then fol­lowed which, in the 21st minute, led to the first goal.

Ber­tie Squires-Adams, who was quick­est to re­act to a ball down the right chan­nel, was able to poke the ball past the on­rush­ing Birchenall and then slip it home from a tight an­gle.

Amer­sham’s sec­ond goal soon fol­lowed when a long ball down the left re­leased Alden one-on-one with Birchenall. The keeper man­aged to parry the shot but the ball fell kindly for the on­rush­ing Tom Parry, who had the sim­ple task of tap­ping it into the empty net.

The sec­ond half was only six min­utes old when it erupted. A player was fouled, there was push­ing and shov­ing, at least one punch was thrown and a gen­eral melee broke out. When the ref­eree at last re­stored or­der, two Tring and one Amer­sham player had been shown red cards.

As is of­ten the case, the send­ings off de­stroyed the game as a spec­ta­cle.

The nine men of Tring kept try­ing to play their foot­ball while Amer­sham lost their con­cen­tra­tion. As a re­sult the Tring for­wards gave Amer­sham one or two ner­vous mo­ments, but as Tring tired and Amer­sham re­gained their com­po­sure, the chances for the vis­i­tors mul­ti­plied.

First Gary Mar­shall robbed a de­fender but chipped the ball just past the post, then Nathan Henry broke through but shot over the bar.

The pres­sure was bound to tell and, with 10 min­utes re­main­ing, Amer­sham sealed the win.

Leon Parkes and Squires-Adams com­bined to feed the ball across goal where Gary Mar­shall turned and fired past Birchenall.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.