De­ci­sions go against Chiltern in big match

Buckinghamshire Advertiser - - SPORT -


The first score for the home side came when the Ching­ford scrum-half sliced through a gap for a con­verted try.

Chiltern gave away sev­eral penal­ties early on and it came as no sur­prise when the last of them re­sulted in a yel­low card for Tala Petelo. The of­fence was com­mit­ted un­der the posts and Ching­ford’s ex­cel­lent num­ber ten calmly in­creased the lead to 10-0.

Chiltern came back into the game strongly and put Ching­ford on the back foot re­peat­edly.

The vis­i­tors were re­warded when, af­ter a long break down­field, they were stopped just short of the Ching­ford line. The ball was re­cy­cled sev­eral times from the sub­se­quent scrum and prop Char­lie Perkins crashed over in the cor­ner for Chiltern’s first try. It proved a Pyrrhic vic­tory, how­ever, as a Ching­ford player had dived on top of the try scorer well af­ter the ball had been grounded, caus­ing a sig­nif­i­cant shoul­der in­jury which meant Chiltern’s scrum strug­gled for the rest of the first half and Perkins was forced off at the break.

There were nu­mer­ous stop­pages fol­low­ing two in­juries to Ching­ford play­ers and one for the vis­i­tors.

The hosts scored an ex­cel­lent try af­ter strong run­ning by their flanker and just be­fore the end of the first half, Stu­art Pearham kicked a penalty for Chiltern, leav­ing the score 15–8 to Ching­ford at the in­ter­val.

De­spite two en­forced changes, Chiltern started the sec­ond half with a bang and, from an er­rant Ching­ford kick, ran the ball out of their 22 and fed winger Lloyd An­der­son. Still 70 me­tres from the try line, An­der­son twice stood up the cov­er­ing de­fence and each time ac­cel­er­ated away be­fore div­ing over for an out­stand­ing score which was con­verted by Pearham.

Af­ter a scrum near the Chiltern line, young prop Cal­lum New­ton was punched sev­eral times by his op­po­nent and re­tal­i­ated with a punch of his own, the of­fi­cial spot­ting only the lat­ter of­fence and red-card­ing New­ton to leave Chiltren down to 14 and forced to play un­con­tested scrums.

Mat­ters got worse when Chiltern tried to clear their line only to see the kick charged down legally. In fol­low­ing up the charge down, the Ching­ford flanker knocked on only for the ref­eree to al­low play to con­tinue as he went on to score.

Chiltern came roar­ing back and af­ter 20 min­utes of the sec­ond pe­riod re­duced the lead to three points when Pearham kicked a sec­ond penalty.

The vis­i­tors were forced to make an­other sub­sti­tu­tion when cen­tre Pip Blake took a knock to the eye, Chiltern bring­ing Dave Fran­cis into the cen­tre.

Ching­ford took full ad­van­tage of their nu­mer­i­cal ad­van­tage, scor­ing two late con­verted tries with Pearham con­tribut­ing a fi­nal penalty in re­sponse.

Amer­sham, how­ever, showed com­mend­able com­mit­ment in press­ing the ball and, af­ter a few early scares, rarely al­lowed their op­po­nents a clear scor­ing op­por­tu­nity.

Raiders should have taken the lead af­ter 16 min­utes when Joel Danso was put clean through but town keeper Rob Munn did well to save with his feet and then a minute later, had to dive to his left when Danso turned and hit a fierce cross-shot.

They were to prove costly misses for Raiders as, seven min­utes later, Amer­sham took the lead.

The vis­i­tors had been steadily work­ing their way into the game on an un­fa­mil­iar sur­face and a good move on the left, in­volv­ing Jake Mongston and Ber­tie Squires-Adams found Isaac Asare ad­vanc­ing down the wing. His cross was per­fectly de­liv­ered into the dan­ger area and Shel­don Washington was first to the ball to knock it past La­mar Rus­sell in the Raiders goal.

Berkham­sted sought to re­spond im­me­di­ately as Munn par­ried Jef­frey Men­tah’s sting­ing drive and was re­lieved to see the ball re­bound off the bar.

At the other end, Washington fed Al­dred, whose cross-shot drifted just wide.

Danso then turned two Amer­sham play­ers but put his shot over.

Amer­sham’s sec­ond goal was a clas­sic counter as Anouar Zer­oual and Tom Parry broke up a Raiders at­tack and a quick ball over the top found the pacey Al­dred, who lobbed the on­rush­ing Rus­sell.

The sec­ond half was more hum­drum as Berkham­sted pressed but were un­able to find a way through.

The clear­est chances fell to Amer­sham. Af­ter a move down the left, Washington found Al­dred in space but his shot cleared the bar and then Washington, with a fine run, cre­ated his own op­por­tu­nity but de­layed his shot and the chance was lost.

Fi­nally, Town sub­sti­tute Jeremiah De­bayo also broke through but again his shot cleared the bar. The game might have lacked qual­ity but Amer­sham worked hard for their vic­tory.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.