Chiltern bounce back from Ching­ford dis­ap­point­ment

Buckinghamshire Advertiser - - ADVERTISER & EXAMINER -


Af­ter the pre­vi­ous week’s de­feat to lead­ers Ching­ford, Chiltern came out on top against visitors whose play was sig­nif­i­cantly bet­ter than their league plac­ing would sug­gest.

Chiltern at­tacked from the out­set and, af­ter sev­eral pro­duc­tive drives to­wards the Ruis­lip try line, a spilled pass was all that pre­vented the first score of the game.

How­ever Ruis­lip had in­fringed off­side so Stu­art Pearham stepped up to kick the re­sult­ing penalty.

Both sides were at­tack­ing with in­tent but Chiltern’s de­fence was the stronger of the two and it was no sur­prise when they gained turnover ball from a Ruis­lip knock-on and, with an ex­cel­lent ref­eree play­ing ad­van­tage, Jack Kenyon scooped up the ball from the floor bril­liantly and ran in from 45 me­tres for Chiltern’s first try, con­verted by Pearham.

With the de­fences on top, the only other score of the first half was an­other well-taken penalty by Pearham, which took Chiltern into half-time with a 13–0 ad­van­tage.

Af­ter the pre­vi­ous week­end’s in­juries, Chiltern were field­ing yet more debu­tants and when new prop Peiotr Bala­cenko un­for­tu­nately pulled a calf mus­cle in the warm-up, it meant one of the new­com­ers, Dayne Matthews, ended up play­ing the whole match which, at the ten­der age of 39, was a mag­nif­i­cent feat.

Chiltern were quickly into their stride at the be­gin­ning of the sec­ond half but, hav­ing com­pletely dis­rupted a Ruis­lip scrum, a lapse in con­cen­tra­tion al­lowed the home team in for their first, con­verted, try. Chiltern’s lead was fur­ther re­duced when Ruis­lip con­verted a penalty, mak­ing the score 13–10, which was hardly a re­flec­tion on the amount of pos­ses­sion and at­tack­ing play Chiltern had en­joyed.

The score clearly gal­vanised the hosts and from the kick-off, they moved the ball quickly to the out­side chan­nels where Kenyon ran beau­ti­fully to out­flank the Ruis­lip de­fence but, with a try seem­ing in­evitable, Kenyon was bril­liantly tack­led a me­tre short of the line.

Chiltern were first to the break­down and af­ter se­cur­ing pos­ses­sion, a pop pass saw num­ber eight Jor­dan Scott dive over for a try that was con­verted by Pearham.

Chiltern were now com­fort­ably in con­trol and af­ter a fur­ther pe­riod of pres­sure Pearham nipped in to cheek­ily snaf­fle the ball and dive over the line un­der the posts for Chiltern’s third try, which he also con­verted for a 27–10 lead.

With a mat­ter of min­utes re­main­ing, a missed tackle left a gap which was well ex­ploited by the Ruis­lip backs and led to their sec­ond try, which was duly con­verted for 27-17.

There was suf­fi­cient time for Chiltern to get back into the Ruis­lip 22 but some brave de­fence kept the hosts from scor­ing an­other try, which would have given them a bonus point.

Chiltern re­main third and a gap is de­vel­op­ing be­tween the top four and the re­main­der of the clubs in the league.

On Satur­day, Chiltern make the short jour­ney to Wat­ford to play a Ful­le­ri­ans (ko 2.30pm) side who cur­rently sit mid-ta­ble.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.