Che­sham back at the top af­ter Hitchin draw

Buckinghamshire Advertiser - - SPORTS -

Both sides had halfchances early on, Harry Isted sav­ing Jonny McNa­mara’s shot, while at the other end Oran Swales fired wide af­ter cut­ting in from the right. How­ever it soon be­came clear that this was go­ing to be a game of few chances.

Che­sham had more pos­ses­sion as the half wore on, but it was not un­til the 35th minute that they pro­duced an­other shot, Jef­fer­son Louis vol­ley­ing across goal from David Hut­ton’s right-wing cross.

Six min­utes later Adam Watkins crossed from the right, but Louis’ header was com­fort­ably saved by home keeper Michael John­son, and that was the sum to­tal of the ac­tion in a quiet first half.

Early in the se­cond half a long free kick from Isted came through to Louis, who shot wide from the edge of the area.

Shortly af­ter the hour mark Isted pushed a shot from Hitchin sub Tre­mayne Christie round the post, but there was still lit­tle to cheer the crowd on a cold night.

Hut­ton forced John­son into a good save be­fore Hitchin came close for the only time in the game, when Con­nor Vin­cent got on the end of a Tre­mayne Charles cross, but Mathew Hall stuck out a hand to claw the ball away.

Shortly after­wards a Char­lie Smith cor­ner came to Dan Webb in the area, but he could only nudge the ball for­wards and Hall saved. How­ever, Che­sham suc­ceeded in pro­tect­ing their stand-in keeper and had the game’s last ef­fort on goal, when Louis headed a Matt Be­vans free kick straight at Michael John­son.

Che­sham had ap­peared to lose ground in the play­off race af­ter be­ing held to a 2-2 draw by lowly Dorch­ester on Satur­day.

United came close to tak­ing the lead in the third minute when Kieran Mur­phy got on the end of Jhai Dhillon’s cor­ner, but could only turn the ball wide of the post.

Che­sham had a few half chances, but Benji Cril­ley and Adam Watkins could not con­vert, while at the other end of the field Cal­lum Rose turned David Jer­rard’s cor­ner wide.

In the 40th minute, Che­sham took the lead when Lewis Toomey headed Matt Be­vans’ cor­ner against the bar and Cril­ley was able to force the re­bound over the line.

Five min­utes af­ter the restart, Dorch­ester equalised as Gary Bowles broke for­ward and set up Ash­ley Pope to fin­ish past Harry Isted.

Che­sham nearly re­took the lead when Jef­fer­son Lewis’ shot was saved and Toomey’s re­bound hit Lewis and went out for a goal kick.

The home side were made to pay for miss­ing that chance as Dorch­ester took the lead on 79 min­utes when Sam Lana­han’s shot had enough power to fly past Isted.

The goal jolted Che­sham into life as Watkins’ shot was tipped over by Weale, how­ever the re­sult­ing cor­ner was de­flected into the back of the net by the goal­keeper.

Dorch­ester’s Cal­lum Rose was then sent off af­ter 85 min­utes, but Che­sham could not cap­i­talise on the ex­tra man and came away with just a point.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.