BHA will de­cide to­mor­row on Leicester event

The Daily Telegraph - Business - - Sport - Rac­ing By Tom Cary

Rac­ing of­fi­cials will wait un­til to­mor­row to make a de­ci­sion on whether to hold next Tues­day’s sched­uled meet­ing at Leicester.

This week’s fix­ture con­tro­ver­sially went ahead de­spite new lock­down rules be­ing ap­plied to the city. Train­ers in­clud­ing Alan King, Graeme McPher­son and Mick Ap­pleby were among those to with­draw their run­ners over Covid-19 con­cerns. All but four stalls han­dlers re­fused to work, so races had to start us­ing a raised tape.

“Given the Gov­ern­ment’s ad­vice overnight and how it was clar­i­fied this morn­ing, I was frankly as­tounded that the BHA [Bri­tish Horserac­ing Au­thor­ity] con­sid­ered it ap­pro­pri­ate to race at Leicester,” said McPher­son.

The BHA said it would make a de­ci­sion on next week’s meet­ing after speak­ing to rep­re­sen­ta­tive bod­ies within the in­dus­try, adding that the de­lay would also al­low lo­cal health au­thor­i­ties a few more days of work­ing data.

Fig­ures pub­lished by Pub­lic Health Eng­land yes­ter­day showed that Leicester’s rate of new in­fec­tions was more than dou­ble the next high­est city in the coun­try, Brad­ford.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.