Thousands join half-price restaurant voucher scheme after registration opens
◆ Tens of thousands of pubs and restaurants are expected to have signed up for the Chancellor’s “eat out to help out” scheme after it opened for registration yesterday, UKHospitality said it had received enquiries related to the scheme from 244 of its members, which collectively have tens of thousands of outlets between them. Kate Nicholls, chief executive of UKHospitality, said the trade body had been overwhelmed by the number of firms telling it that they would participate, adding: “All the major chains are planning to participate.”
Restaurants and pubs registered will be able to offer half-price meals, up to a maximum discount of £10, every Monday to Wednesday throughout August. The initiative will cost £500m and is part of Rishi Sunak’s drive to encourage spending.