The Daily Telegraph - Business : 2020-07-14

Sport Football : 14 : 6

Sport Football

6 The Daily Telegraph Tuesday 14 July 2020 ** Sport Football Chastened Norwich promise to fight back By John Percy We went to war without a gun and got shot, says Webber Farke position safe and no fire sale of players is planned Relegation from the Premier League has been described in the past as a £200 million catastroph­e, so the mood at Norwich City’s training ground was understand­ably sombre yesterday following confirmati­on that the club would be in the Championsh­ip next season. Stuart Webber, the sporting director, admitted their season was the equivalent of “going to war without a gun” after spending just £1.2 million on players. There was a memorable home win over Manchester City in September, the emergence of talented youngsters Todd Cantwell and Max Aarons, but it has been an arduous campaign and has ended with a record fifth relegation. Webber insisted the club were under no pressure to sell their rising stars, and reiterated that head coach Daniel Farke’s job was safe. Yet he painted a bleak picture of the huge disparity in financial power at the top level. “It’s not a nice feeling being relegated but it’s important that we don’t go away and cry, we just get on with it,” he said. “Reality has hit, we’ve gone to war without a gun and we’ve been shot. But we need to make sure that if we ever come back, we’re fully armed up and ready to fight back. “If people need someone to blame, let it be me. I’ve got it badly wrong and I’m not embarrasse­d to admit that. “If the only objective was purely to stay in the league, we should have risked the club’s future and spent money we don’t have – and then let somebody else worry about it in the future. It’s now about moving forward, the future for us started on Sunday.” After winning last year’s Championsh­ip with 94 points, finishing above Chris Wilder’s Sheffield 2010 11- 12- 13- 14- 15- 16- 17- 18- 1920 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 Football in brief McClean fury at lack of support over poppy abuse Jeremy Wilson ual “has been released under investigat­ion while our enquiries continue.” McClean argued that no one had ever been accountabl­e for the abuse he has received. “What is the difference?” he asked. The Profession­al Footballer­s’ Associatio­n and Kick It Out have called for concerted action to tackle the issue of how people can anonymousl­y post such abuse. The PFA now wants Ofcom to oversee the enforcemen­t of legislatio­n. Kick It Out, which is football’s equality and inclusion organisati­on, said that social media had been allowed to become like the “wild west”. James McClean has complained about a lack of support over the abuse and death threats he has received following the condemnati­on of the racist abuse sent to Premier League forwards Wilfried Zaha and David McGoldrick. The Stoke City and Republic of Ireland winger condemned what he called the “horrendous” messages that were posted on Instagram to Crystal Palace winger Zaha and Sheffield United forward McGoldrick, but said that he had received “more abuse than any other player” during his time in England. McClean, who was born in Northern Ireland, has regularly refused to wear a poppy during remembranc­e season, saying that for him it would be “a gesture of disrespect for the innocent people who lost their lives in the Troubles – and Bloody Sunday especially”. The abuse of McGoldrick and Zaha prompted renewed calls on Monday for Ofcom to oversee a crackdown on offensive social media postings. A 12-year-old boy was arrested following the Zaha message, with West Midlands Police confirming yesterday the individBy

© PressReader. All rights reserved.