TikTok sues US government in effort to block Trump’s ban
TIKTOK has sued the US government to block Donald Trump’s order banning the popular video app if it fails to find an American buyer by Sept 15.
“We strongly disagree with the administration’s position that TikTok is a national security threat and we have articulated these objections previously,” the company said as it filed the suit in a federal court in California yesterday.
TikTok is asking a judge to throw out the order, signed by Mr Trump on Aug 6, which said the app could be manipulated by the Chinese government.
Microsoft, Oracle and various American investors have entered talks with ByteDance, TikTok’s parent, to take a majority stake by next month.
Washington officials claim that there is a risk TikTok users’ information may be passed to the Chinese government.
Amid ongoing scrutiny over its Chinese roots and its sudden surge in popularity, TikTok hired an American chief executive, security chief and legal counsel, who are all based in the US, “and therefore are not subject to Chinese law”, the lawsuit says.
In the complaint, TikTok said it had been in talks ahead of the ban to alleviate these concerns and taken “extraordinary measures to protect the privacy and security of TikTok US user data”.
Separately yesterday, social media giant Facebook agreed to pay €106m (£96m) in back taxes to France to settle a long-running dispute over the revenues it earned in the country.