Southwell deaths probe
Jump racing at Southwell has been suspended until further notice pending an investigation by the British Horseracing Authority and Arena Racing following a further two horse fatalities at yesterday’s meeting. There had already been six horse fatalities at the Nottinghamshire course since jump racing resumed in July following the Covid-19 lockdown.
The British Horseracing Authority announced last night that jump racing at Southwell had been suspended pending an investigation following a further two equine fatalities at yesterday’s meeting.
The Nottinghamshire course was already being closely monitored. Since jump racing resumed in July, there had been six fatalities, including Croco Bay, a Cheltenham Festival winner, and three horses at the meeting on Aug 24.
There were a further two last night – Day Of Roses fell three fences out in the three-mile handicap chase and Cillian’s Well fell four out in the two-mile chase.
Eight fatalities is, clearly, more than a coincidence.
In a joint statement, the BHA and Arena Racing Company, which
owns Southwell, said that the suspension was to allow a “comprehensive investigation”.
“The process is already under way to investigate the circumstances around the six fatalities between July 1 and Aug 24,” the statement said. “This involves the racecourse and the BHA veterinary team, racecourse department and course inspectors looking into the specific circumstances to understand if there are common factors.”
These factors include any past injuries to each horse, its veterinary record, its race history, race conditions and course factors.
The jump meeting scheduled for Sept 15 will now be transferred.
The course had been inspected before last night’s seven-race card and declared safe.