Port march­ing on with cup tri­umph

Caernarfon Herald - - SPORT -

PORTH­MADOG marched into the Welsh Cup sec­ond round with a com­fort­able 3-0 win against un­der­dogs Penyf­fordd Lions of the North East Wales League.

With three lev­els be­tween the teams a vic­tory for the Huws Gray Al­liance hosts was al­ways the likely out­come but the fi­nal mar­gin would have been much wider only for a mar­vel­lous per­for­mance from vis­it­ing keeper Nick Owen, who pulled off a se­ries of ex­cel­lent saves, es­pe­cially in the sec­ond half.

Owen’s hero­ics be­gan early when he did well to deny Meilir Wil­liams at his near post.

Life was made more dif­fi­cult for the vis­i­tors when they con- ceded a penalty. Tom Tay­lor was brought down and Wil­liams tucked away his spot kick.

After 34 min­utes Port got their sec­ond fol­low­ing a good break down the left from Sion Bradley, tak­ing on two de­fend­ers be­fore slip­ping the ball inside for Cai Jones, who had time to pick his spot and drill a low shot across the keeper into the far cor­ner.

De­spite spurn­ing sev­eral good op­por­tu­ni­ties Port still held a com­fort­able 2-0 ad­van­tage at the in­ter­val.

The sec­ond half con­tin­ued in much the same vein as the first with even more and bet­ter chances be­ing cre­ated dur­ing the sec­ond 45 by the hosts.

Just two min­utes after the res­tart Port should have got their third when Wil­liams failed to con­vert from close range after a good ball in from Gareth Jones Evans.

Nearly 10 min­utes into the half the vis­i­tors pro­duced their only ef­forts on goal. First a slip by Tay­lor on the wet sur­face al­lowed Mar­cus Davies to break for­ward, but he took his shot early and lifted it well over the bar.

Two min­utes on and Richard Har­vey had to make his only real save of the game. A free kick from Garth Hig­gins broke for Adam Pugh on the right of the box and the de­fender drove low but the keeper was down well to save.

Fol­low­ing this warn­ing the chances came thick and fast for Port.

Id­don Price broke through to sup­ply To­mos Em­lyn whose shot was well saved by Owen. To­mos Em­lyn then pulled the ball back for Wil­liams who rat­tled the near post.

The same player was de­nied again by an­other good save from Owen. Even­tu­ally the all im­por­tant third goal came in the 72nd minute with Cai Jones the sup­plier.

He re­leased Wil­liams into the box with a good an­gled ball and this time the striker drove low with power, at last beat­ing the ex­cel­lent Owen.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.