Cofis kick start cup glory drive

Lex on end of five-goal blast

Caernarfon Herald - - SPORT -

CAERNAR­FON Town kicked off their quest for Welsh Cup glory with a re­sound­ing 5-1 vic­tory over a spir­ited Lex Glyn­dwr side at a rain– soaked Oval.

This same com­pe­ti­tion gave the Ca­naries plenty to cheer last sea­son as the side reached the semi-fi­nal stage be­fore bow­ing out to Welsh Premier League side Bala Town and Iwan Wil­liams and his play­ers are des­per­ate to go even fur­ther this time around.

Their first op­po­nents were Lex, who ply their trade in the Welsh Na­tional League un­der player man­ager Ricky Evans.

How­ever, Caernar­fon are on a fine run of form and started con­fi­dently, tak­ing con­trol of the game im­me­di­ately and push­ing their op­po­nents back into their own half.

It was ev­i­dent from the open­ing skir­mishes that Lex were a tight, solid out­fit and their back­line was well mar­shalled by cen­tre halves Alex Hux­ley and Chris Hughes. De­spite this, the hosts still man­aged to cre­ate space in and around their penalty area, and both Gareth Evans and Dar­ren Thomas failed to make the most of good op­por­tu­ni­ties early on, whilst Jamie Breese at­tempted an au­da­cious lob that flew inches wide of the up­right with stop­per Tom Bel­ton still fran­ti­cally back-ped­alling.

Lex had pro­vided lit­tle by way of goal threat up but they broke up­field in the 36th minute and made the most of their first op­por­tu­nity of the match when Evans deftly crossed the ball for Matthew Har­ri­son to head past Alex Ram­say.

De­spite this un­ex­pected set­back there was no gloom around the Oval and the home side went about get­ting back on level terms with im­me­di­ate ef­fect, see­ing claims for a penalty waved away after Danny Brook­well’s run was stopped inside the area, ref­eree Nick Pratt opt­ing for a free kick on the edge of the box in­stead. How­ever, it mat­tered lit­tle as Craig’s free kick de­f­elected off Chris Hughes and nes­tle in the back of the net.

Town were buoy­ant and went ahead just be­fore the break as a well-worked free kick found de­fender Clive Wil­liams six yards out and he took full ad­van­tage with a low strike.

Gareth Evans went close to adding a third for the Cofis early in the sec­ond pe­riod, but the hosts did not have to wait long to in­crease their lead as sub­sti­tute Jay Gibbs col­lected the ball and slot­ted home from the edge of the area, the classy mid­fielder hav­ing only just joined the ac­tion after com­ing off the bench.

Craig’s mea­sured right-foot shot struck the wood­work on the hour mark be­fore Do­minic Do­herty en­joyed a rare sight of the home side’s goal late on. But Town ex­tended their ad­van­tage through in-form striker Jamie Breese be­fore the fi­nal whis­tle.

Breese had been in­stru­men­tal in most of Caernar­fon’s best moves all and it was only fit­ting that his ex­cel­lent work was re­warded when he com­pleted a late brace, the first com­ing when he latched onto a Thomas ball in the box and then, in the fi­nal minute, get­ting on the end of a fine Thomas cross.

Pic­tures by RICHARD BIRCH

● Goalscor­ers Jay Gibbs and Jamie Breese cel­e­brate Welsh Cup progress while (in­set) Danny Brook­well turns the Lex defence

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.