Bail­lieston bat­ter ’Dale in a windy en­counter

Campbeltown Courier - - SPORT -

CAR­RADALE went into the Pres­i­dent’s Cup match with no prospect of con­tin­u­ing in the com­pe­ti­tion due to hav­ing too few round robin points.

Bail­lieston, though, had to win by three goals to pro­ceed and that is how it turned out.’

’Dale’s po­si­tion go­ing in gave the chance to play some young­sters and Ryan Mc­Grory will have ben­e­fited from his 75 min­utes. El­liot Gem­mill also took to the 3G sur­face for 20 min­utes.

Goalie Neil McMil­lan had a tough time but man­aged to add to his grow­ing record of penalty saves with a great dive in the 84th minute.


With a fresh wind blow­ing, Bail­lieston de­cided to take ad­van­tage and played down­wind in the first half. The on-shore breeze had de­pleted by late af­ter­noon but be­came gustier which dis­rupted some ’Dale passes.

The vis­i­tors took the lead in the nineth minute. Due to the weather con­di­tions ’Dale had played a high line which gave the vis­i­tor’s num­ber eight a deep run. Un­selfishly, on the edge of the box, he passed to the num­ber nine, who with the eas­i­est of chances scored.

Seven min­utes later Bail­lieston dou­bled the lead though a throw-in to the num­ber 10 from the edge of the box. He ran along the 18-yard line and thun­dered a left foot shot high into the net. Neil McMil­lan did not have a chance.

In the 20th minute ’Dale re­duced the lee­way and pulled a goal back. A loose ball came to Daniel Docherty and he struck a fine shot through a ruck of play­ers which left the vis­i­tors’ goalie un­sighted.

’Dale now held their own for 20 min­utes and hoped that they could go into the sec­ond half on 2-1 and im­prove the sit­u­a­tion with the wind in their favour.

It was not to be and in the 43rd minute a de­fen­sive er­ror cost ’Dale another goal.


At the start of the sec­ond half Car­radale changed to a 4-4-2 setup and for 15 min­utes put the vis­i­tors un­der the cosh and were un­lucky not to score.

’Dale used more subs but this un­set­tled the team. The vis­i­tors knew that they needed a fourth goal and in the 84th minute were re­warded.

McMil­lan ran out but was caught away from the sticks and could only look on as the ball raced past into the net. In the clos­ing min­utes, a bel­li­cose Michael Charl­wood was red carded by ref Archie Mitchell and de­parted for an early bath. Car­radale have a free week and the next game is at home against Busby on Septem­ber 16.

John­stone was man of the match and Neil Gal­braith Elec­tri­cal Ser­vices spon­sored the match ball.


Car­radale goal­keeper Neil McMil­lan made some great saves, in­clud­ing punch­ing the ball sky­ward.


Man of the match David John­stone sup­port­ing Daniel Docherty.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.