Case against drink driver not proven

Campbeltown Courier - - NEWS -

THE CASE against a for­mer un­der­cover po­lice op­er­a­tive, ac­cused of be­ing four times the drink drive limit, was not proven at a Camp­bel­town Sher­iff Court trial.

Andrew Fruish, 46, from Glas­gow, faced a charge that on Sun­day April 23 this year he had been in charge of a car at Glengyle, Camp­bel­town, when he had 100mcg of al­co­hol in 100ml of breath, the limit is 22mcg.

He had pre­vi­ously pleaded guilty to two fur­ther charges on the same com­plaint, one of hav­ing a car in a de­fec­tive state and the other of hav­ing no MOT.

Be­fore the trial be­gan on Wed­nes­day morn­ing, Sher­iff Pa­trick Hughes made an order that Fruish, 46, should only have Glas­gow pub­lished in any reports as his ad­dress.

The sher­iff made the order fol­low­ing a mo­tion from the de­fence. It stated that be­cause of Fruish’s pre­vi­ous po­lice work in Greater Manch­ester there may be a dan­ger to his rel­a­tives if his full ad­dress was given.

Procu­ra­tor fis­cal de­pute Laura Mun­dell ar­gued that in the in­ter­ests of jus­tice be­ing seen to be done, Fruish’s full de­tails should be pub­lished.

The Courier re­porter also chal­lenged the de­ci­sion on the ba­sis that Fruish is an un­usual sur­name and iden­tity by ad­dress would make it ab­so­lutely clear.

Greater Manch­ester Po­lice was un­able to con­firm if Fruish had served in an un­der­cover ca­pac­ity.


A po­lice wit­ness told the court that a mem­ber of the pub­lic had com­plained, in the early hours of the morn­ing, that ex­tremely loud mu­sic was com­ing from a parked car.

When po­lice in­ves­ti­gated, they found Fruish in the car with his head on the wheel, the keys in the ig­ni­tion and the en­gine run­ning.

Fruish’s claim that he had no in­ten­tion of driv­ing the car that day or un­til 7.45am the next morn­ing, when a tox­i­col­ogy re­port stated the al­co­hol would be out of his body, was ac­cepted by the sher­iff af­ter the court heard from Fruish’s part­ner.

She said other of­fi­cers had es­corted them to an MOT sta­tion as the car needed work and they had parked up.

She added that Fruish had taken a drink from a bot­tle of vodka in the car once he re­alised their three-week road trip was fin­ished.

In re­spect of charge two, Sher­iff Hughes banned Fruish from the road for six months and fined him £150 with an ad­di­tional fine of £50 for hav­ing no MOT.

Fruish also ap­peared for sen­tenc­ing re­gard­ing an as­sault. On Tues­day May 2, Fruish ‘pushed’ a Tesco worker who re­fused to serve him with a bot­tle of vodka and a bot­tle of whisky.


Fol­low­ing his ar­rest for the as­sault, Fruish ap­peared from cus­tody in hand­cuffs and pleaded guilty to the of­fence. Sher­iff Ruth An­der­son de­ferred sen­tence for a so­cial work re­port but Fruish did not com­ply with her order.

On Wed­nes­day, Sher­iff Hughes fur­ther de­ferred that sen­tence, to Novem­ber 16, for the re­port to be com­pleted.

He warned Fruish, who has a his­tory of vi­o­lence, that if he did not com­ply he would face cus­tody.


Andrew Fruish looks in a Camp­bel­town shop win­dow af­ter the trial.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.