The ‘Shrewsbury & Newport Canals’ were two separate routes. The Shrewsbury Canal opened in 1797 from Trench to Shrewsbury, 17 miles with 11 locks and an inclined plane at Trench, for small tub-boats about 20ft by 6ft with four sharing a lock. In 1831 the Newport Arm of the Birmingham & Liverpool Junction Canal opened. It descended via 23 standard narrow locks in ten miles from Norbury through Newport to Wappenshall to meet the Shrewsbury, which was widened from there to Shrewsbury to take standard narrowboats. Both canals came under the Shropshire Union system, but were closed by the LMS Railway in 1944. A 1960s restoration scheme could not stop British Waterways selling off parts for demolition; the present SNCT was founded in 2000 to reopen from Norbury to Shrewsbury.