Broads deaths confirmed as CO
A COUPLE AND their dog, whose bodies were found by police on a boat on the Norfolk Broads (see July) had, as suspected, been killed by carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning.
At the initial inquest hearing it was confirmed that the ‘silent killer’ had been responsible for the deaths. Although the source of the CO has yet to be identified (it can come from engines, generators, barbecues or any other fuel-burning appliance), the Boat Safety Scheme has responded by re-issuing its CO safety advice, which includes: All engines and appliances should be installed, maintained and used in line with makers’ instructions. Generators should not be run near cabins. Ventilation should never be blocked. Boaters should be familiar with the symptoms of poisoning and how to react. CO alarms should be installed and tested often.