Return to Nelson’s Wharf
TRADITIONAL NARROWBOATS ARE pictured filling Nelson’s Wharf Basin on the Grand Union for the first time in over 50 years, following Willow Wren Training’s reinstatement of the former cement works arm near Stockton in Warwickshire.
Built in 1870 and used to bring in coal and take out cement products from the Charles Nelson Cement Works, the arm fell derelict and was filled in and buried after the company ceased trading at the end of the 1940s. But since 2013, Willow Wren has built a new training centre, installed a footbridge across the arm, dug out the first section and put it in water, enabling 14 boats to be crammed into the basin for a weekend in September as part of a birthday party for four waterways characters and their friends.
Work continues to restore Stage Two of the basin, landscape the site, and install services for it to be opened as moorings in 2017.