News bits of kit to make life easier
YOU’VE PROBABLY HEARD the terms charging, maintaining and floating when it comes to batteries, but we haven’t seen a simpler explanation than this. “In the first bulk charge stage, the battery receives a continuous maximum current charge. Once the battery is recharged to approximately 75% of its full capacity, the charger switches to a constant voltage absorption stage for the remaining 25%. When the battery is fully charged, the charger will maintain this charge phase for 15 minutes (providing the charge is under 6.25% of the full charge current) and then switches over to the float charge stage. In this stage the battery charger maintains the full charge without overloading the battery.”
So now you know – and the explanation is all thanks to Vetus with the launch of its new range of four-stage marine battery chargers and, as you’d expect, they are compatible with just about any type of battery.
With that kind of care, your batteries are going to last a long time.