Canal Boat - - Ask The Experts -

Q I am buy­ing a cabin cruiser whose cur­rent owner has no home moor­ing and has 14 days be­fore he has to move on. We know some­one who owns a canal­side prop­erty where we can moor, but we will have to ob­tain the prop­erty de­tails, writ­ten per­mis­sion of the owner, pur­chase a li­cence, in­sur­ance etc. What can we do with the boat while wait­ing for the per­son with moor­ing rights to sort the doc­u­men­ta­tion for me? HAVANACHOW, via the CB web­site

A TONY REPLIES: There is a ques­tion over the prop­erty owner get­ting per­mis­sion for an ‘end of gar­den’ moor­ing from CRT and the price they/you will have to pay. This is un­likely to be free. The prop­erty owner will have to ap­ply for the moor­ing rights and then ne­go­ti­ate with you. The ne­go­ti­a­tions are un­likely to be swift, so talk to CRT to see if they can ex­tend the tem­po­rary 14-day pe­riod for you. If not, move on to an­other 14-day moor­ing but ad­here to the CRT guid­ance for those with­out a home moor­ing – and re­mem­ber this means you can­not shuf­fle back­wards and for­wards be­tween two points. Al­ter­na­tively, take a tem­po­rary berth in a ma­rina, pri­vate moor­ings, or a CRT long-term moor­ing. You need in­sur­ance now and a li­cence not long af­ter­wards: reg­is­ter as con­tin­u­ous cruis­ing (no home moor­ing) and change it later when you get a moor­ing.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.