Where can I work on a boat and put it in?

Canal Boat - - Back Cabin: Experts -

QI have bought a boat that I will be bring­ing to the Lon­don area by road. It is a 42ft x 12ft fi­bre­glass one and I plan to live aboard. Can you ad­vise of a boat­yard/ma­rina that can of­fer suit­able road ac­cess for the trans­port, crane fa­cil­i­ties and hard-stand­ing where I can keep it while I do some ini­tial re­pairs and a suit­able crane or slip­way for launch­ing?

ATONY REPLIES: You don’t give an air draft (the height above the wa­ter). This is im­por­tant be­cause many GRP cruis­ers will not fit un­der the canal bridges. How­ever the di­men­sions sound like a ‘Caribbean’ style Broads cruiser so if it is it will have a low enough air draft.

Mari­nas and road ac­cess are fairly easy for the Lon­don area al­though you may well have to pay for a mo­bile crane. I think the boat will fit the Grand Union Canal, so lo­ca­tions as far away as the South Mid­lands be­come pos­si­ble and then cruise down.

Try Roy­don Ma­rina (River Lee), High­line Yacht­ing (Slough Arm), Packet Boat Ma­rina, Den­ham Ma­rina, or Uxbridge Boat Cen­tre, but do check on the sit­u­a­tion of hard-stand­ing space.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.