Hooked on canals
THE Canal & River Trust has just reeled in a new angling club to fish the beautiful waters of the Montgomery Canal in Powys.
The Llwydiarth & Darlach Angling Association, which can trace its history more than a century back to 1904, has become the latest angling club to move onto the nation’s man-made canal network in search of good fishing.
The club has reached an agreement with the Trust which will allow its 100 members to fish along a restored two-mile stretch from bridge 141 to 147, near Brynderwyn Wharf, just north east of Newtown. The section was previously available as part of the Trust’s Waterway Wanderers scheme
The Llwydiarth & Darlach Angling Association is the result of an amalgamation of two clubs in 2015. Llwydiarth Hall was a Welsh club which included active members from the Wirral.
Darlach was suffering from dwindling membership and hoped to revive its fortunes by joining forces.
Darlach was formed 114 years ago and the name is a combination of ‘lach’ taken from the last four letters of Shocklach, a small Cheshire village on the banks of the Welsh Dee and the first three letters ‘Dar’ from Farmer Darlington, who generously allowed anglers to fish for free on his river. The club folded at the outbreak of World War Two but re-formed in 1948, with significant connections to the Wirral ship builders Cammell Laird.
The Montgomery Canal is currently undergoing a major restoration project which will result in significant improvements in water quality and boating opportunities.
CRT national fisheries & angling manager John Ellis said he was delighted the Llwydiarth & Darlach Angling Association had decided to set up home on the Montgomery Canal.
They join another 250 angling clubs who have agreements with the Trust.
Club members in 1948