Car Mechanics (UK) - - Mot Changes -

To ap­ply for MOT ex­emp­tion on a ve­hi­cle that’s more than 40 years old, it first of all needs to be classed as a Ve­hi­cle of His­toric In­ter­est (VHI). You will need to fill in sec­tion seven of your ve­hi­cle’s V5C (log book) to change the tax­a­tion class to His­toric, and any post of­fice that deals with ve­hi­cle tax can for­ward your V5C to the DVLA to have it changed. Even if you do not want to go ahead with MOT ex­emp­tion, you can still have free ve­hi­cle tax, pro­vided the ve­hi­cle is old enough, so you must change the tax­a­tion class to His­toric. When do­ing this, the ve­hi­cle must have a valid MOT cer­tifi­cate.

At the point of tax­ing a ve­hi­cle, you can de­clare the ve­hi­cle is ex­empt from the MOT. There is one im­por­tant dec­la­ra­tion that needs to be made when ap­ply­ing for MOT ex­emp­tion: you have to state that the ve­hi­cle has not been sub­stan­tially changed. The of­fi­cial guide­lines say: “The re­spon­si­bil­ity to en­sure the de­clared ve­hi­cle is a VHI and meets the cri­te­ria, rests with the ve­hi­cle keeper as part of their due dili­gence. If a ve­hi­cle keeper is not sure of the sta­tus of a ve­hi­cle, they can con­sult a mar­que or his­toric ve­hi­cles ex­pert, a list of whom will be avail­able on the web­site of the Fed­er­a­tion of Bri­tish His­toric Ve­hi­cle Clubs. If a ve­hi­cle keeper can­not de­ter­mine that the ve­hi­cle has not been sub­stan­tially changed, they should not claim an ex­emp­tion from the MOT test.”

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.