From die-cut­ting to dé­coupage – if you’re new to the card­mak­ing world you might be won­der­ing what it all means…

Cardmaking and Papercraft - - Contents -

Card­mak­ing terms made sim­ple

Ac­etate A thin trans­par­ent film used com­monly in paper­craft.

Aperture An aperture is a shaped hole cut from the front of a base card.

Bone folder A tool used to make a neat, sharp crease in pa­per or card.

Dé­coupage There are two very dif­fer­ent dé­coupage tech­niques. The first is the art of cre­at­ing a 3D im­age from pa­per lay­ers. The smaller parts of a re­peated im­age are cut out and lay­ered on top of the orig­i­nal im­age with sticky fix­ers. The second is when pieces of dé­coupage pa­per are used to cover an ob­ject, usu­ally us­ing wa­tered-down PVA glue or Mod Podge.

Die-cut­ting A die-cut­ting ma­chine cuts out shapes from pa­per or card. The ma­chine sand­wiches me­tal dies (tem­plates) over your cho­sen card, which is then fed through a roller by turn­ing a han­dle on the ma­chine.

Easel card This base card fea­tures a stop­per, which al­lows the front to fold back and stand up like an easel.

Em­boss­ing This tech­nique adds a raised im­age, pattern or greet­ing. It is often done by hand us­ing a sten­cil or board with an em­boss­ing tool.

Em­boss­ing folder This plas­tic folder has a raised de­sign on one side and an in­dented de­sign on the other. Place card in­side the folder and run through a die-cut­ting ma­chine us­ing the correct plates to em­boss.

Fussy cut­ting In paper­craft, this means us­ing scis­sors to cut out an im­age or mo­tif from pat­terned pa­per.

Glossy Ac­cents A clear, three-di­men­sional gloss made by Ranger. Use it to ac­cent and pro­tect dis­tinct ar­eas of your projects.

Heat em­boss­ing This tech­nique cre­ates a shiny, raised ef­fect on a stamped im­age. Stamp us­ing a slow-dry­ing ink such as Ver­saMark, sprin­kle over with em­boss­ing pow­der and tap off the ex­cess be­fore gen­tly heat­ing with a heat tool.

Kraft card This is light brown, usu­ally re­cy­cled, card that is used for lay­er­ing with back­ing pa­pers.

Mask­ing This in­volves cov­er­ing an area of card be­fore stamp­ing or colour­ing so that the colour or im­age un­der­neath is un­af­fected.

Parch­ment craft The art of em­boss­ing and pierc­ing spe­cial­ist pa­per to cre­ate an im­age or pattern.

Punches These are used to punch out shapes to dec­o­rate cards. There is a huge va­ri­ety avail­able, in­clud­ing bor­der punches and nest­ing punches.

Shaker card A shaker card is a type of card that has a clear win­dow which is filled with var­i­ous beads and/ or glit­ter. The card can then be shaken to see the em­bel­lish­ments move.

Step­per card This kind of shaped base card has one or more shorter folded sec­tions in front of or along­side a main panel.

Sticky fix­ers These are tiny, sticky foam pads used to give a 3D ef­fect when at­tach­ing panels to a base card, or be­tween lay­ers of dé­coupage.

Vel­lum A translu­cent or semi­translu­cent parch­ment pa­per.

Ver­saMark ink A thick, clear ink that dries slowly, which is used in stamp­ing and heat em­boss­ing.

Washi tape This is a kind of dec­o­ra­tive mask­ing tape with the prop­er­ties of rice pa­per.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.