Our home is a cas­tle!

Luck­ily, we have some un­der­stand­ing neigh­bours here! ho G uy Mallinson, 50, has ful­filled his dream of build­ing a home in the sky! Visit http://www. lifedeath­prizes.com/ videos/watch/guy­mallinson-lux­ury-tree­house to read more.

Chat - - Inside - By Jayne Cor­ri­gan, 48, from We­ston-su­per-mare

Once upon a time there was a ma­gi­cian and a knight.

They lived in a cas­tle in the south­west of Eng­land.

Com­plete with tur­rets, flags and a se­cret fairy gar­den. Ex­cept… it’s our 1930s semi! My hubby Martin, 44, knew I was wacky when we first met.

‘I’ve been prac­tis­ing magic since I was three,’ I said to him. ‘I’m part of The Magic Cir­cle!’

I told him I loved all things me­dieval, too. In­stead of run­ning a mile, he joined in!

Martin was once a jockey and loves any­thing to do with horses. So dress­ing up in some ar­mour was right up his street!

On his last birth­day, I was stuck for what to get him…

Some­thing wacky, some­thing to do with horses…

Then it hit me – joust­ing! So I bought him a joust­ing ex­pe­ri­ence day with a group called The Knights of Mid­dle Eng­land. Martin was over the moon. So much so, that he took up joust­ing as a hobby.

Soon, he was shoot­ing ar­rows from the back of a horse!

And in May this year he be­came Bri­tain’s Ama­teur Joust­ing Cham­pion.

In Septem­ber 2015, we got mar­ried.

He was like a dad to my twins Max and Evie, now 15, from a pre­vi­ous mar­riage.

Of course, our wed­ding

wasn’t a tra­di­tional af­fair…

We had our very own me­dieval fes­ti­val! I proudly named it ‘Wed­stock’.

And, as soon as we set down our bags in our new home, we started ren­o­vat­ing. We don’t do things by halves! So, we hired lo­cal artist Martin D’arcy. He start­ing paint­ing our 12ft-high, 80ft-long gar­den fence.

For­get about white­wash – we had fairies, an en­chanted for­est, flow­ers and beach themes, side by side. Next, I wanted a magic room. So our liv­ing room was turned into a psy­che­delic han­gout, com­plete with il­lu­sions and bright lights.

As for me, I wanted my own ‘Diva Den’ – with pur­ple vel­vet cush­ions, a gi­ant Bud­dha and stuffed an­i­mals.

One day, we were walk­ing past a char­ity shop when some­thing caught my eye.

It was a real spin­ning wheel!

‘Wouldn’t that look great in a me­dieval din­ing room?’ I asked a grin­ning Martin.

We’d al­ready started work­ing on a themed lounge…

Why not?!

So we snapped it up. Then we asked Martin D’arcy to paint me­dieval cas­tle-style bricks on the walls.

But he had to be care­ful not to make it look like a dun­geon!

Af­ter two weeks the whole thing­was re­ally in­cred­i­ble.

To fin­ish off the look, we bought shields, coats of arms and suits of ar­mour. Then we added can­dles, gob­lets, po­tion bot­tles and win­dow shut­ters.

We throw the best din­ner par­ties – com­plete with lute mu­sic!

When peo­ple walk in, they’re speech­less.

All that was left to do now was the out­side of our home. Martin D’arcy might as well have been on speed-dial.

We de­cided to paint it like a cas­tle – tur­rets, flags, ban­ners and all!

And we had a Doc­tor Who Tardis painted on the gate, too.

As you walk down the tun­nelled gar­den path, the fence is dec­o­rated with the so­lar sys­tem.

The tun­nel plays Doc­tor Who mu­sic, with flash­ing blue-and­white lights.

Then you pass through a fairy-light cur­tain...

Be­fore you come out into the gar­den, and next to you is a huge, 6ft ant and in­flat­able eyes in the bushes.

There’s a se­cret fairy gar­den hid­den away, too. Oh, and not for­get­ting the Hob­bit cot­tages at the end of the path.

Luck­ily, we have the best neigh­bours. They love our de­signs, and bring friends round to show them.

As for Martin and I, we’re al­ways think­ing about what we’re go­ing to do next.

They say an English­man’s home is his cas­tle – well, ours is def­i­nitely fit for a king and queen!

We throw the best par­ties, com­plete with lute mu­sic

Wel­come to our won­der­land!

Us with artist Martin D’arcy Let the feast be­gin! Ready to re­ceive lords and ladies in the ban­quet hall!

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.